Any idea on a time table for establishing nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polar_Bus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
I've been cycling my 90G for about 1 1/2 weeks, and I did a water test last night, basically I have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrates. So I am heeding the advice here, and splashed in some ammonia. I am at about 4-5 ppm's. About how long do you guys think for some nitrate levels to grow? Thanks,
Rich

Actually, what you've been doing for the last 1 1/2 weeks is exercising your filter. :)

Now that you've added a source of ammonia, you have begun to cycle your tank. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks on average to complete. I've seen both ends of that spectrum. The length is usually determined by when nitrites begin to show and how long it takes before they spike. At that point you should see some nitrate.

Once you see nitrate, continue to dose ~2ppm of ammonia and keep it there until your nitrite hits 0ppm. Once that 2ppm of ammonia starts to disappear in 24hrs or less, your cycle is complete.

Omce an ammonia source is added, nitrates will appear in about 3 to 6 weeks. What is your ammonia source?

TomK2 said:
Omce an ammonia source is added, nitrates will appear in about 3 to 6 weeks. What is your ammonia source?

I added about 1/8 cup of pure household ammonia, and I have a small amount of sinking food pellets in the bottom "decomposing" . This should supply some ammonia levels. I put the ammonia in, and did a test about 10 hour later.

I cycled with dead shrimp as an Ammonia Source and it took 9 days for my nitrates to Show. It then took 10 days after that for my Ammonia and Nitrites to hit zero. So it took 19 days in total to cycle my tank.

Ok, remember it goes ammonia, nitrIte, then nitrAte.

10-14 days to start seeing nitrIte is normal, but it can take longer
14-20 days is typical to start seeing nitrAte, but again it can take longer.

and remember, nitrIte can be toxic to fish, nitrAte is generally non-toxic unless at extremely high levels, or when its a sudden steep increase in nitrate.

Here are some illustrations of the Nitrogen Cycle that I've collected and find useful:

AquariumNitrogenCycle.png

n-cycle.gif

pH_Diagram.gif

I didn't create these and so cannot take credit for them. Unfortunately, I don't know to whom to give credit for the first two illustrations, but the third is credited at the bottom of the image.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom