Any ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458443145.301440.jpg
Approx 3 cm long .5cm diameter clear to opaque exterior with a more solid white inside, kinda looks like a tube of sorts

3 days ago I saw something like this hanging out of the vent of my 4inch male discus, 1 day after starting a batch of eggs with my female discus, I thought it was male stuff gone wrong, the next 2 days seemed normal though I didn't actually see him eat anything, I just thought he was busy fanning his brood, yesterday all the eggs were gone and this morning I found him dead on the bottom.. ??? I found this while doin my pwc, I'm pretty sure this is a different thing to the 1 I saw the other day because this 1 was inside the dw at the top of the tank, the other 1 fell out at the bottom of the tank, 65 cms below but I'm not 100%

I had been watching them almost the entire time I was at home for the past 2 weeks because of the whole dancing and cleaning thing in an attempt to see the egg laying/fertilising thing go down and I didn't notice anything the would suggest he would soon die

thats a rough story to hear. If you saw something similar coming out of a fish then it was /is likely an internal parasite of some sort.

How did your fish die? If his color darkens that can only mean Ammonia Poisoning. I saw similar things to that pic in my aquarium. But usually it is some sort of fish poo covered by slime (probably the goldfish' slime or maybe fungus). If you can tell us how did your fish die and did you see any weird behavior before his death (disease symptoms), we might be able to tell what happened.

I would trust the results of a reputable test kit before making a blanket statement such as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

lol yea, but usually its ammonia poisoning symptom based on my experiences. Not sure if other diseases can cause darker color (except if the fish color is already dark, then it'll be hard to see the difference. Or maybe even black colored, I won't be able to tell lol).

But ofc not always. Sometimes only because of stress.

This was taken about a month before he died
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458804122.596918.jpg he's the yellow 1, the only darkness he ever had was the dark edge on his top and bottom fins as you can see in this pic but he always had that, honestly I didn't know he was off until I saw him on the bottom, there was a slight ammonia spike a couple weeks before he died for a few days but it was very minor .25 was as high as it got and I was doing daily 30% pwc, the tank has been established for over 12 months..
The other discus in the tank seem normal, except for his girl, she seems a little lost

This was taken about a month before he died
View attachment 285720 he's the yellow 1, the only darkness he ever had was the dark edge on his top and bottom fins as you can see in this pic but he always had that, honestly I didn't know he was off until I saw him on the bottom, there was a slight ammonia spike a couple weeks before he died for a few days but it was very minor .25 was as high as it got and I was doing daily 30% pwc, the tank has been established for over 12 months..
The other discus in the tank seem normal, except for his girl, she seems a little lost

I would never consider any detectable amount of ammonia as being minor. There should always be 0 in an established setup and if there more it will negatively affect the livestock.

Are you suggesting that a 7 day ammonia spike that reached a maximum of .25 ppm produced the thing in the top photo and killed 1 of the 4 discus that were in the tank at the time?

Are you suggesting that a 7 day ammonia spike that reached a maximum of .25 ppm produced the thing in the top photo and killed 1 of the 4 discus that were in the tank at the time?

That's actually possible because Discus is not a hardy fish (as far as I know). And it is very sensitive to water condition (correct me if I'm wrong 'coz this is once again what I know). And what about the nitrite and nitrate?? Nitrite can also be nasty.

Back
Top Bottom