Any JellyFish 4 FreshWaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all cephalopods are SW. Some (very limited) will tolerate brackish, but not for extended periods.

oops -- jellies aren't cephalopods. but i believe they are all SW. There are some Hydrozoa jellyfish like animals i hear that are freshwater.

To the best of my knowledge there is only one "freshwater jellyfish" and that is Craspedacusta sowerbyi. You find it in places like water filled quarries or man made lakes and they live most of their life as a polyp attached to something.

In regards to keeping them in our tanks, no there is none. And, if a friend ever asks you about keeping marine jellyfish, slap their hand and tell them no. ;) Very, very hard to care for.

if there is a fw counterpart to a marine fish, chances are, it need special care

compare:
sw stingrays to fw rays
sw pipefish to fw pipes
sw puffers to fw/bw puffers
sw gobies to fw gobies

im not saying that all these fish are hard per se' to care for, but need more attention than your typical fw fish

they even have fw sharks in nicaragua if you want to count those

Interestingly, though Craspedacusta sowerbyi is now widespread in the Northern hemisphere, it is not the only freshwater jellyfish. In addition to C. sowerbyi, there may be as many as 5 other species of Craspedacusta. In addition there are a few species of Limnocnida that are freshwater jellyfish (3 species from Africa and 3 species from Asia). None of them are available through in the aquarium trade...which is a good thing since (as has already been mentioned) taking care of them would be a nightmare.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom