Any water ager that does not smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ask if its toxic because when I open to use during water changes, my whole house stinks. And I have a newborn. I want my family safe.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime is safe.
First aid for ingestion is "dilution with a couple glasses of water", per the manufacturer MSDS
http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/Prime.doc.pdf

IMO prime is a safe product to have in your household(safer then most cleaners with "fresh " fragrances.)

I use seachem SAFE (dry version of prime on steroids!!) and it smells also for what it is worth.

Prime is safe.
First aid for ingestion is "dilution with a couple glasses of water", per the manufacturer MSDS
http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/Prime.doc.pdf

IMO prime is a safe product to have in your household(safer then most cleaners with "fresh " fragrances.)

Thank you. I needed peace in mind. I would have torn my tank down if I knew it was not healthy for us.

On the water report here it states that chloramine is used in water supplies that are sent 600 kilometres away whereas for the local city supplies here it just basically states either may be used.

This info came from the water department here in the States when the switch was made. As for what your water department down there does is out of my knowledge base. What you said however, does support that chloramine is more stable than chlorine which is why it is used for long term safety over such distances. No? ;)

This info came from the water department here in the States when the switch was made. As for what your water department down there does is out of my knowledge base. What you said however, does support that chloramine is more stable than chlorine which is why it is used for long term safety over such distances. No? ;)

We wonder what the water department does here as well. :) The trouble I think is the water is sourced from desalination plants, dams and aquifers so I assume treatment depends on source water. It's not very clear in the water report.

Your comments make sense to me totally (as an armchair researcher). That's the way I read it as well.

Does seachem safe not smell anything like seachem prime?

I ask if its toxic because when I open to use during water changes, my whole house stinks. And I have a newborn. I want my family safe.

Thanks.

I've only really used seachem safe and definitely wouldn't say it is that bad. I don't have the bottle open for very long but I don't get any comments from family.

And I'm not aware of any issues with prime. Just wanted to get that out there.

But you could contact seachem support to ask them for peace of mind and explain the situation with the newborn.

Does seachem safe not smell anything like seachem prime?

It smells the same when in powder form.
I can't say I notice once mixed into solution.
It can not be mixed in large batches as it will lose effectiveness over time according to seachem.
They say it lacks some "preservative" prime has.
Safe is like 1/20 the price of prime though!
All prime users are paying the price to ship water(not cheap).

I emailed Seachem, and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your email. Here's a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Prime:http://www.seachem.com/support/SDS/Prime.pdf

Prime is not an inhalation hazard. The only recommended safety precaution is IF someone experiences irritation due to breathing it in, move them to an area with fresh air.

I hope this helps! Have a nice day."

I dont use prime i use API as im not a fan if the price tag attached to Seachem stuff. I know its bit too expensive. But its still a buck or ten.

The standard API Dechlorinator smells only a bit. The stuff that dechlors as well as adds a slime-coat thing (for the life of me i cant remember its name) doesn't smell though. It works the same, i use it about 1/2 of the time and the smelly stuff the other half just so i don't over dose on the stress-coat stuff. If thats even possible.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

API Stress Coat.

How did i... Well...

Easy name, hard to forget? Guess not...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Api stress coat is a water ager for chlorine, and hardly smells?

Api stress coat is a water ager for chlorine, and hardly smells?

Its a dechlorinator that I'm still not 100% sure is safe to use all the time,as I'm not sure if the stress-coat formula could be overdosed.

But, basically no smell unless you are within a foot of the open bottle. My bottle is months old, so i think it is permanently non-smelly? Hope so :)

But you are comparing apples and oranges tho. PRIME is not just a dechlorinator while the API products are just that. What sets PRIME apart is it's ability to detoxify ammonia, nitrites and other metals. None of the API products, to my knowledge, do that. So in a case of an emergency, say when the ammonia level has reached a toxic level, using products other than PRIME would not do the same thing. Short of doing a 100% water change, you would still have toxic ammonia present. I really don't think the smell of prime should be so bad to not use it because of the smell. Just my opinion of course. ;) ( And it definitely doesn't smell as bad as a dirty diaper. :brows: ) :D

I emailed Seachem, and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your email. Here's a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Prime:http://www.seachem.com/support/SDS/Prime.pdf

Prime is not an inhalation hazard. The only recommended safety precaution is IF someone experiences irritation due to breathing it in, move them to an area with fresh air.

I hope this helps! Have a nice day."

I think here you are going to have to make a judgement call. It all sounds like it isn't a concern - until it is. To be honest, I can only imagine that as someone being more sensitive - which maybe the newborn is. At the least I would say it is something to be careful of ie don't leave the bottle open for longer than needed or anything, etc, etc.

Seachem I have a lot of respect for, it's relatively cheap for all that you get and ime have never had or heard of any issue with it.

There are water conditioners that will do the same (although you may need to combine). I used to keep API ammo lock and API stress coat while I still have a decades supply of API water conditioner sitting there.

You could try picking up another small bottle of prime and see if same smell perhaps?

When I used Prime in small bottles and droplet cap, it never had a smell from memory.

It's only when I bought the larger bottle, which you need to open the cap, and sits in cabinet longer before buying new Prime, that I now have a strong smell.

But you are comparing apples and oranges tho. PRIME is not just a dechlorinator while the API products are just that. What sets PRIME apart is it's ability to detoxify ammonia, nitrites and other metals. None of the API products, to my knowledge, do that. So in a case of an emergency, say when the ammonia level has reached a toxic level, using products other than PRIME would not do the same thing. Short of doing a 100% water change, you would still have toxic ammonia present. I really don't think the smell of prime should be so bad to not use it because of the smell. Just my opinion of course. ;) ( And it definitely doesn't smell as bad as a dirty diaper. :brows: ) :D

Im not complaining. But he was asking about non-smelly alternatives, so i gave my thoughts :)

And if your ammonia is spiking so high you need to mask it with chemicals then you have mire than one problem on your plate i think...

Im not complaining. But he was asking about non-smelly alternatives, so i gave my thoughts :)

And if your ammonia is spiking so high you need to mask it with chemicals then you have mire than one problem on your plate i think...

Actually, for those doing fish in cycling, an ammonia spike is not an unexpected problem and PRIME is an alternative to doing massive daily water changes. To my knowledge, there is no other single product on the market that does all the things (dechlorinates, helps slime production and metal/ chemical detoxifying) that PRIME does therefore it has no single alternative option. :whistle: The closest I know of is the combination of Amquel ( or the new Amquel +) and Novaqua ( or new Novaqua + ). I've not used either of the new + forms of these products but the original products had some faults.
Yes, products like AmmoCarb or ammonia blockers can remove the ammonia over time while PRIME is more instant but they don't dechlorinate or help the fish produce slime. There are other options for dechlorination and slime production but they lack in the ability to detoxify. This is what makes PRIME worth the smell (IMO) because it does it all in one dose and from one bottle. But if you are willing to shell out more money to have more products, that's obviously your choice. ;) (y)
Here's a tip for those using the big bottle, I took the dropper top off the small bottle of PRIME and am using it on the 500ML/ 16.9 Fl Oz bottle so I don't have to open the big bottle. If I need more than some drops worth, squeezing the bottle into a measurer also works. It's an alternative to having to smell the smell. :D(y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Here's a tip for those using the big bottle, I took the dropper top off the small bottle of PRIME and am using it on the 500ML/ 16.9 Fl Oz bottle so I don't have to open the big bottle. If I need more than some drops worth, squeezing the bottle into a measurer also works. It's an alternative to having to smell the smell. :D(y)

Hope this helps. (y)

:lol:^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^:lol:
I mix my safe into a prime bottle that has a "flip top".:rolleyes:
I also use a small container that is what I need and just fill and dump.;)
For smaller volumes the drops are a great idea(just cause you have big bottle don't them fool you).:whistle:
My fliptop came from a "purple up" bottle(marine sup) and fits my liter bottle of prime perfect.:brows:
************************IMO***************************
Prime/safe is the best and cheapest!!!(y)
If you don't agree you have not experienced enough different products or done the math correctly!:facepalm:

:lol:^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^:lol:
I mix my safe into a prime bottle that has a "flip top".:rolleyes:
I also use a small container that is what I need and just fill and dump.;)
For smaller volumes the drops are a great idea(just cause you have big bottle don't them fool you).:whistle:
My fliptop came from a "purple up" bottle(marine sup) and fits my liter bottle of prime perfect.:brows:
************************IMO***************************
Prime/safe is the best and cheapest!!!(y)
If you don't agree you have not experienced enough different products or done the math correctly!:facepalm:

Not sure if you're storing the premixed safe? I emailed seachem back when I got safe asking if this was an option, basically said no, it will run its coarse in 24 hrs and basically become in effective. I just dump a pinch in the wc barrel 5 min before party time. Hasn't failed me yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom