Any way to minimize light surface scratches on glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
The scratches are on the outside of the galss and are not bad but still a pain to look at. The tank was used in a trade show, so while new to us, it's used. We didn't see them last night and I looked pretty hard.
Is there any type of glass cleaner with something in it that will minimize the marks?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

There are glass polishers. I don't know how that works though. It's a start for a Google search though.

Fine graphite powder and a soft cloth will fill and polish fine scratches in glass...use the lock lubricant stuff in a tube, not the spray

I've heard that 3M swirl remover on automobiles is excellent at getting rid of small scratches on most things (CD's, cars, etc.). I don't know if it can be used on glass.

Toothpaste is a BAD choice. It's much harsher than 3M swirl remover and the abrasives are not uniform in size. Toothpaste has been used frequently for CD repair since you can normally get the CD to play and aesthetics are not important. On a tank (especially the front) I would not skimp.

Thanks gang. I will try the graphite powder. That makes sense as it will fill in the fine scratches. Now that there's water in the tank you can hardly see them. Of course, I KNOW they're there...lol.

Back
Top Bottom