Anybody fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while I’m an avid aquarium keeper I also love fishing! Especially sw fishing. Anybody else on here an avid fisherman??
IMG_0781.jpgIMG_0889.jpgIMG_0635.jpg

Nice fish!!!!(y)(y) Especially like the Fluke. I've caught my share of them. :)
When I lived in NJ, my Dad & I used to chase the Striper run down to Maryland. You could call me a former avid fisherman as I used to fish almost every day behind my house. Now I'm inland too far and too busy making tackle. ;) I still do a run up to Maine almost every year to fish Salmon and Smallmouth Bass. ( That trip is coming up in a couple of months from now. :D :dance::dance: )

Hope there are more anglers here. (y)

Awesome Andy! I live in (Maryland) about 30 mins from the bay or ocean so pretty good fishing early spring to early winter. Flounder are my favorite too. The bay here is great too as we get southern species like the speckled trout and red drum!

What kind of tackle do you make?

We had a boat at a marina not far from Sandy Hook so Fluke runs were just around the hook ( back in the day. ;) ) I've heard that Fluke have become hard to get up there in recent years. :( Lots or restrictions now in an effort to bring them back.
We also caught a fair amount of larger weakfish in NJ while the sea trout in Florida were mostly smaller in size ( but fun on light tackle. (y)(y))

Flounder are still abundant here, I catch a couple weakfish every fall too but they aren’t around nearly as much. Another fish I’m sure you northern fisherman know well that I love catching is tautog (blackfish)! Man is that a hard pulling fish

Flounder are still abundant here, I catch a couple weakfish every fall too but they aren’t around nearly as much. Another fish I’m sure you northern fisherman know well that I love catching is tautog (blackfish)! Man is that a hard pulling fish

Yup!!!! Down here, we have grouper for that kind of pulling. You haven't lived until you tie into a 100 or 200 lb Goliath Grouper. :eek: LOL I saw one at a marina back in the 60s that weighed over 650 lbs. You don't forget something like that. (y)

Nice trout. I caught one off the seawall at my dads place on tampa bay few years back. I'm an avid fisherman. Cape cod offers excellent fw and sw fishing. Chase the stripers, albacore, black bass and Tataug. Smallmouth bass are my favs though. Nothing beats good smally top water action.

Brook, I love smallmouth just haven’t been able to fish for them in a long time. Fight twice as hard as their largemouth cousins!

Yeah Florida is overrun with invasives, up here in md I try to do my part every year and take out a bunch of Northern Snakehead.

Exaclty, the strpped onde too
Brook, I love smallmouth just haven’t been able to fish for them in a long time. Fight twice as hard as their largemouth cousins!

Yeah Florida is overrun with invasives, up here in md I try to do my part every year and take out a bunch of Northern Snakehead.

The jumps are epic. Pound for pound the hardest puller in that sweet water.

Nice trout. I caught one off the seawall at my dads place on tampa bay few years back. I'm an avid fisherman. Cape cod offers excellent fw and sw fishing. Chase the stripers, albacore, black bass and Tataug. Smallmouth bass are my favs though. Nothing beats good smally top water action.
Next time you are in FL, head over to the East Coast to Miami-Dade and Broward counties and fish canals for Peacock Bass. Nice fight that is better than Largemouths. (y)(y) In the right canals, you can catch Oscars as well and they even beat out Largemouths. (y)

We don't have the ocean here in Denver, but I am an avid fly fisherman. Nothing beats wild Browns and cutthroats on a mountain stream. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 28
We don't have the ocean here in Denver, but I am an avid fly fisherman. Nothing beats wild Browns and cutthroats on a mountain stream. :D

Nice trout! I did a fly fishing trip out in Montana about 16-17 years ago. My dad goes up every year and fly fishes for steelhead near Lake Erie. Definitely a more finesse style fishing!

Nice trout! I did a fly fishing trip out in Montana about 16-17 years ago. My dad goes up every year and fly fishes for steelhead near Lake Erie. Definitely a more finesse style fishing!

Montana is one of my favorite places in the world. Gotta love that big sky. I've always wanted to hit a Great Lakes steelhead run and one day I will. It certainly is different but I find challenge of learning new techniques and strategies exciting. It keeps things fresh.

Water is still really cold here, just stocked a bunch of trout last week so I'll have to bist out the fly rod and give er a go. I'm not very. I'll probably just catch my hat and some branches

Nice fish!!!! (y)(y) I do a little fly fishing in Maine for Smallmouth Bass and Brook Trout. A couple years back, I was casting towards a school of Brookies and wound up catching a 17" Landlocked Salmon :eek: Even better, it was in an area that the camp owner had never seen a salmon so close to the camp. :D I yelled for my buddy to get my camera and take my picture but he yelled back that he was fighting his own Trout so I was on my own. LOL It was caught on the last day of our stay so I had to release it so I needed that done quickly so I was not going to wait for my buddy. :( So a pic of this fish is here https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14228.html along with some other fish from other Maine trips. The orange thing at it's mouth is my fly. (y)

Back
Top Bottom