anyone breed skirt tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 black skirt tetras and one golden skirt tetra among other fish in my 20 gal but I must have adjusted the temp just right and removed my 2 ottos and viola, they spawned! I never knew the sexes and I had 2 females originally adn then added a male weeks later. He is a small black skirt and he's mating with the gold skirt. I had them for 4 months and this is the first I've seen of this. The female was kind of throwing her eggs on all of the plants (4 of them) with the male "dancing" next to her all the while and alot of the other fish were eating them. I was wandering how the eggs should look if healthy, should they be in a bunch and they looked very tiny. They were free floating and then sticking to the glass and plants but not in a group. They were translucent tan in color. It was amazing to watch! but at the same time I was concerned about them getting eaten or just dieing. She looked like she was throwing them everywhere 8O Any advice? thanks!

That is how they do it. The female sprays eggs everywhere and the males fertilize them as they chase her. They will all eat the eggs as fast as they get layed. If you want to keep the eggs the best way is to put marbles on the bottom of the tank so the eggs fall through and dont get eaten. The fry will be tiny and be hard to feed. I have gotten swimmers but never have been able to keep the fry alive.

Rich

thanks Rich!

here's a pic (it's so amature) lol the loving couple are in the middle there
the black skirt and gold skirt tetra
img_672482_0_ff7d86b359b38fdd34c8c605ee73ecef.jpg

my parametes are;
temp-78
p.h.-7.8
very soft water
ammonia and nitrites are 0
they are fed tropical flakes, frozen tubiflex worms (2 xs a week)

Back
Top Bottom