Anyone familiar with the Eheim 2213 canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you have one or have used one, I have questions about it and the "instruction booklet" that comes with it is pretty badly written.

How do you work with it (open it up, etc.) without getting water everywhere?
The inner cartridge has several layers, including filters and loose media - which parts do you change, how often, and how do you do it?

I just started using mine about 2 weeks ago, so I doubt I need to do any changes yet, but want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!

All the eheim classic type filters work the same though the internal basket setup may vary. You should have a quick disconnect fitting with 2 valves on each hose. Unplug the pump and shut all 4 valves, the handles are in line with the hose when open and 90 degrees to the hose when shut. Put a towel under the fitting and disconnect. You should not get more than a teaspoon of water from each one. Move the unit to your work area, sink or outside. Open the valves, then remove the top from the can. Have a bucket of declored water handy. Put the filter pads in the bucket. Throw the carbon pad away( don' need it) Was the macironi looking stuff under the fawcet then rinse with declored water. Take the basket with the rocks in it and the pads and slosh gently in the bucket, this is where your bacteria is so be easy. Rinse out the can and clean out the hoses with a brush if necessary.Put every thing back in the can and fill with clean declor water, crack the valve on the lower hose to bleed out air. I open the valve on the top hose and use a squeeze bottle to fill the hose to the top. Close the valves. Reconnect to the tank, open the valves and power up. You should get instant prime with not to many bubbles. I buy bonded filter floss from big als and cut out my own pads when they need replacing. :D

I am on the verge of getting one of these Eheim classics for my 29gallon... may even consider the Professional II Model 2026... questions I have to the Eheim users here:

1. Will the flow rate of the Eheim Professional II Model 2026 be too great that it'll suck up my neons?
2. Back to the classic cannisters or actually on any cannister where you can't "see through" as with the Magnums.... how do you know when it's time to do the maintenance? How would you know it's clogged up?
3. Does getting one of these cannisters mean "less" water changes required?

I was leaning towards the Magnum Cannister because it has the gravel vacuum attachment flexibility... but I think I'd like to stick to a reliable cannister that won't potentially give me big headaches down the line.

I have never had a problem with fish being sucked up except for fry. You can put foam or netting around the strainer if you are worried. The cleaning period depends on tank load. You just rinse off most of the media and put it back. You do need to replace the filter pads occasionally. I cut my own out of bonded filter floss. For a first time user, you should clean it after a month running. The amount of dirt should give you an idea of how long you can go. Usually at least 2 months. I also use a HOB on my tanks so I clean the cannister every 3 months. :D

Back
Top Bottom