anyone have any idea what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
3 days ago I purchased 40 lbs. of live rock from a shop out of town. I found this on the bottom of one of the rocks. Can someone help identify it? To give you a idea of its size, its not quite as large as a orange or apple.
Thanks for your help.
Julian

Attachments

• orange thing.jpg
    orange thing.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
  • orange thing on rock.jpg
    orange thing on rock.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 48
Yes it is soft, and the white skin seems to be very loose. Since I put it in the tank, it has doubled in size in 2 days.

I dont know if this helps, but the rock originated off the Florida coast, west side I believe.

Looks like an orange ball sponge or perhaps a tunicate .. is there any chance of a bit better pic ?
Sponges are neat hitchikers , and will come and go with nutrients great lil filter feeder ... I have them in blues , purples and yellows in my tank ...

mystery solved, It is a sponge, late last night, over a period of 15 minutes, I witnessed it busting out if the orange shell. I now have a yellow sponge floating around in my tank. today I removed the remaining orange and white shell, and did a 30% water change. the shell smelt very bad. after doing my chemical test, all is normal with the exception of the ph, just a little low. will give it a week and test once again. still waiting for the right time for some fish, but trying to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom