Anyone have YoYo Loaches??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcgee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had one in my 10 gallon for a few weeks now (I know they need small groups, I'm just waiting for the LFS to special order me some when she gets a big enough order) and he has been really active and whatnot. Tonight I get home from work at "Where did you go??" He is gone. I checked around the tank and whatnot. Did a PWC to see if I could spook him out of anywhere. And still nothing. I had another loach a couple years back and he liked to dig himself in the gravel. Does this particular species do that too? Otherwise I have no idea where the heck he could have gone!!!! No signs of him. Hopefully he'll come out soon so I can stop worrying 8O 8O :roll:

Loaches are VERY good hiders. I had a clown loach completely disappear for over a week. I moved EVERYTHING in that tank, and couldn't find him. And then he mysteriously reappeared and made me feel really silly.

I know!!! That is exactly how I feel. I just know he is going to pop up sometime but it is still nerve racking!! He must just be at the bottom of the tank under the gravel cuz otherwise he jsut vanished out of thin air. Hmmm.. I guess now we play the waiting game... *Twiddles thumbs*

Check inside any hollow decorations you may have. He may have gotten himself wedged inside of one

They do hide well. My yoyo's dig in the sand all the time. They dig under decorations and up into them.

Mine hide all the time, in hollow knots in my driftwood, hollow ornaments, etc. If you decide to make changes, be sure to look the ornaments over with a fine tooth comb, as thay are also excellent hitch-hikers, lol.

Not to be the odd duck, but I have 1 YoYo and he is always out and about. Very comical to watch as he searches the tank for snail eggs. Doesn't go after the big guys until he is really hungry, but that is also a great show to watch. Seems to be doing well, doesn't bother the SAE, in fact I think he is encouraging them to be more social, at least when I am gazing at the tank enjoying the show.

I also have only one YoYo and he's constantly out and about. I found it a challenge to get him fed until I recently got some algae wafers. He'd go after shrimp pellets, but so would the barbs, the rummies, AND the angel.

Anyway - I've never had him hide... so far. :p

What's wrong with having just one? I had two, but one was bullied into misery. :| I have yet to replace him, or get two more... that'd be pushing my stocking limits.

I had 2 in my 10 gal. Excellent hiders. They would actually hide in driftwood cracks, EVEN IF I PULLED IT OUT OF THE TANK! They also swam into my filter(eclipse 1). Yes, jumped up into the water outlet, swam up through the biowheel, and jumped another 1" into the filter foam where I found him.

FYI...I had two in my 10 gal, and the started to attack the other fish after about a month. My cory cats had their tails all chewed up and started getting fungus infections from stress.

I moved the yo-yos to my 29. (Only way to get them out of the tank was the driftwood trick) Cories healed up and they are fine in my 29. They also eat pond snails, which is why I had them in my 10 to begin with.

Well thanks guys. When I got up at 4 this morning for work he was out and about again. Before I went to bed I took all the decorations out and sifted through the gravel and found nothing. I even did look into the filter since I have no cover on mine but no luck. Just glad he came out. He usually does stay out and play most of the time too.. that is why i was so concerned. Just next time i won't worry quite so much now that I know he likes to hide that well. Also, I thought I read that there should be more than one together in the tank. Am I mistaken?? I don't think it would hurt to have more since I am going to move all of these fish into my 55 gallon when I upgrade to the 120-150 gallon (haven't decided size yet) for my cichlids. then they'll have lots of room to roam and hide themselves on me!!

Back
Top Bottom