Anyone in the UK have high Nitrates in their tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.

Just wondering if any of you from the UK have high Nitrates in their mains tap water supply?

Mine are 50ppm(mg/l) before even putting the water into my tank.

What do you guys do to combat it?

Thanks.

Are you sure that's accurate? That can be toxic, even for a human. You should immediately contact you're water distributor and ask them about this, usually levels above 10mg/l can be toxic to infants under 1(if I remember).
You can also invest in buying Distilled Water, or getting an Reverse Osmosis system(RO System), witch is a bit more expensive.

Hi All.

Just wondering if any of you from the UK have high Nitrates in their mains tap water supply?

Mine are 50ppm(mg/l) before even putting the water into my tank.

What do you guys do to combat it?

Thanks.
Hey jamlo. I'm not exactly UK but close!!. I have the same issue, mine's around the same, 40ppm. I'm just after(this wk)lightly planting my tank with Water Sprite and Shinnersia. They are very easy to care for and don't require any special attention, lighting, ferts or Co2. I tried this on the advice of a plant queen. They are great at consuming the Nitrates. I wanted to try and solve/help the issue, the 'natural' way. Also I was a bit bored with the fake plants!!!

Yeah I'm UK, and I have the same, always gettting 40, keep meaning to do a test using bottled water to make sure its not just me not doing the test right.

Back
Top Bottom