Anyone keeping Lamprologus similis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I have an empty 20g long tank that I plan on keeping some shell dwellers in. I have narrowed my choices down to L. similis and Multies. I know they look very similar, but I am wondering if their care, tank setup, etc...is also similar.

Can anyone give me some pointers if I go with the Similis?

I know Multies prefer a ton of shells and live in colonies. What about the Similis?

I have found some care sheets for Similis while searching on Google, but they are mostly basic info, like temperature, pH, and feeding.

Also, if you feel that Similis would not work in this tank, please tell me!

Thanks in advance!

If this is your first time with shellies, I highly recommend multies. Not to take anything away from the simis, but multies have all the great characteristics of the shell dwellers and are very colonial oriented. Some of the others tend to pair off and don't exhibit the "family" behaviour of the multies.

Thanks for answering my thread. :) Yes, this is my first shellie tank, so I will go with the Multies. I have heard alot about their unique behavior, so they'll be the best choice. I was just keeping my options open. They will probably be easier to find though, so thats what I'll go with. And I definitely want something that is colony oriented.

How many Multies would you suggest to start with in a 20g long? I plan on having tons of shells in the tank for them, since I know thats what they like.

Get at least six, but you could easily go with a dozen. Just make sure you add them all at the same time. Multis do not tolerate intruders in their colonies and those colonies get set up pretty quickly.

Thanks! I was going to get just 6, but its good to know that I could get away with more. I'll probably shoot for 8-10 and will be sure to add them at the same time. :)

i keep 8 in my ten . they are small right now once i get my 32 going i am going to put my caudopunctatus in it and move my multi colony into the 20 . but ya nothing speacial for the multie setup just sand and lots of shells you can do dividers in the tank by placing rocks across the width so when the fish are by there shells they will not see the others so the can have there alone time and if they spawn will not feel so stressed seeing all the other fish and . usualy the golden rule is three shells per fish . i just put little groups of shells here and there in the tank and my fish seem to be happy going around checking out the shells

Back
Top Bottom