Anyone make their own filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Whisper filter (HOB) that uses 2 large Bio-Bag carbon cartridges along with a sponge in each slot. I was wondering rather than buying cartridges for this filter (which are getting really expensive) if I could make my own filters, they sell carbon pads 1/2 inch to 1 inch at Drs. Foster & Smith. I could cut the sheet to fit my filter, or use some other filter pads that they sell (in sheets). Let me know what you think.

This would be for a 19 gallon community tank, small fish & a betta.
gail

Carbon is not very necessary unless you're doing something specific like removing meds from the water. Most people fill their filters with biomax (or any sort of ceramic bio rings) for BB and things like filter floss, sponges, or Purigen for keeping your water clear.

Sent from my iPad using science

Been doing it for years. You don't need carbon pads, get the blue-bonded sheets and cut to fit. Just rinse in tank water during water change, and reuse until they fall apart.

I have a Marineland filter (HOB) that uses 2 large carbon cartridges along with a sponge in each slot. I was wondering rather than buying cartridges for this filter (which are getting really expensive) if I could make my own filters, they sell carbon pads 1/2 inch to 1 inch at Drs. Foster & Smith. I could cut the sheet to fit my filter, or use some other filter pads that they sell (in sheets). Let me know what you think.

gail

How often do you change the filter pads? Many of us on here will just clean them off with tank water. This keeps the bacteria living on your pad alive instead of using tap water. Only change the filter pad when it's literally falling apart.

I have seen some places that sell rolls of padding that can be used and you just cut them to size.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

This is unconventional but I use microfiber or felt sheets to filter my water, and magic erasers without cleaner to polish the water. I use 10 ppm poret filter material (buy through Swiss Tropicals) for double duty. First as my first layer of filter material and as a medium for biological filtration. Sponges do work in a pinch, but they degrade over time. Lava rock from your local hardware store can also serve as a biological medium. Just use the smallest rocks out of the bag. Larger ones tend to restrict water flow.

I use rings in my canister filter, never heard of using them in a hob filter. DF&S sells super fine lime filter pads in sheets. I might try that instead of the carbon sheet. I see what you are saying about the felt, I could use felt and something else to sandwich the felt so it would stand up.

Most HOB's prepackaged filters have a frame of some sort. Just pull the old filter material off and super glue the felt to the old frame. Just make sure you buy dye-free felt. I can get away with several layers of felt in my canisters because it is a closed pump system, but I don't think more than one would work with a HOB because it is gravity fed. It works really well, but I would use it in conjunction with 1 or 2 other layers of filters. It will become clogged fairly quickly by itself.

I have been known to use bulky synthetic yarn to crochet a custom filter pad. Works well and if you double them up you can actually alternate washing the pads to avoid killing the BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank Filtration Media

I have a Whisper filter (HOB) that uses 2 large Bio-Bag carbon cartridges along with a sponge in each slot. I was wondering rather than buying cartridges for this filter (which are getting really expensive) if I could make my own filters, they sell carbon pads 1/2 inch to 1 inch at Drs. Foster & Smith. I could cut the sheet to fit my filter, or use some other filter pads that they sell (in sheets). Let me know what you think.

gail

Hello Gail...

Two companies: HBH and Acurel sell inexpensive, cut to fit poly fiber padding that works in most mechanical filters. You might try them. Also, you could up your water changes to replace the chemical (carbon) medium. Changing more of the tank water and doing it more often will definitely take the place of this medium. The fish will appreciate the extra, clean water.

B

Back
Top Bottom