Anyone remember when...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Want to play a planted/aquascaping game?

A "remember when" if you will from when you first started up with planted tanks. :)

Anyone remember when you thought a crypt and a few stems was a lot of plants in a 55 gal tank? (That was me a year and half ago. :) )

I remember when my first planted tank looked like this and I got hooked. Rather amusing to me...

IMG_3171.JPG

Remember when you got your first live plants? I thought they were awesome, but I had no idea if they'd live or not!

Ohh and remember when you were told that stock lighting wouldn't grow much at all.....that was a turning point in my plant keeping career. :D

I remember when I was very skilled at killing plants, especially anacharis.

Remember when you just kept reading and reading hoping that somehow you would become an expert before you even bought a plant? Or was that just me...lol

Remember the first time you asked a complicated light/fert/CO2 question to an employee at your LFS, and upon seeing the dumb look on their face, had to hold back a chuckle?

(Disclaimer:;) I kind of stole that from you HG, but it's happened to me too.)

Oh man HG, that is so me right now too! I want to have all the knowledge before I start mucking things up. But I know that really the only way to learn is to dive in.

Remember the first time you asked a complicated light/fert/CO2 question to an employee at your LFS, and upon seeing the dumb look on their face, had to hold back a chuckle?

(Disclaimer:;) I kind of stole that from you HG, but it's happened to me too.)
It so cracks me up....it's still happening....just TRY to ask the employees at Petsmart for BIOballs......lmao! They look at you like you have two heads sometimes...I actually turned around onetime to see if there was something strange behind me because of the dumbfounded look on his face. Poor guy...lol. I bet he was thinking....I don't know anything about this job. sniffle, boo hoo:(

Oh man HG, that is so me right now too! I want to have all the knowledge before I start mucking things up. But I know that really the only way to learn is to dive in.
You got it ;) But knowledge is power...it's just at some point you have to just do it. :)

Here's another:
Do you remember the first time you went into the LFS and waited until a customer was done being misinformed only to take them aside and tell them the "real deal". :)

Have you ever stood behind an LFS employee facing toward a customer and when they ask....how big will this Black Ghost knife get...and motion with your hands suggesting the possible 2 ft length while the employee is telling them typically 8-10 inches......? true story....wait...maybe I am just a jerk....lol.

Here's another:
Do you remember the first time you went into the LFS and waited until a customer was done being misinformed only to take them aside and tell them the "real deal". :)

Yep! I do that often. :D I tend to interrupt employees giving out wrong info as well while they're trying to explain to someone why they can only have 1 platy in their 2g unfiltered/unheated bowl....lol. I'm rude and I'll admit it!

Well, I don't really blame the employees. They don't really train them properly, and the information they give out is probably what they are told. I've never openly called anyone out, I just don't bother asking them questions. hah

I'm just a newbie too, and I have a lot to learn but I've become pretty informed after reading and learning by asking questions, everyone on this site really knows their stuff. So now everyone in my dorm on my floor knows that I'm the go-to-person for advice when it comes to their aquarium needs. I tell them everything I know and encourage them to do research of their own : )

I love it!

I know jrp, its not the employees faults. I have argued with them about information they gave me though. I try not to call them out when they are talking to other people. Taking that person aside (the shopper, not the employee) and trying to give them right info seems to work better anyways.

Anyone remember how their first planted tank looked as opposed to more recent planted tanks or more recent rescapes of that same tank? I sure do....looking at the pictures brings back some memories. :D Glad I have learned all that I have and that I'm still learning....

for years I was really afraid of plants for some reason. For most of my aquarium keeping career I used fake plants...I can't even stand the sight of fake plants anymore. haha

I remember..... it wasn't that long ago I was a plant-killa. I still am a plant-killa if the plant isn't submersed in water!

A somewhat related story......

I was in the local library last weekend looking for some books for my university assignment when I overheard a conversation going on around a table. Some local lads & m'ladies that had to have been in their 70s/80s (I'm guessing here) were having a round-table chat over some tea. One of them mentioned buying a Pet for their adult daughter. I heard him mention a canary and then he said "perhaps I'll get her a goldfish instead". One other lady said "oh, that's a good idea and there were pretty-looking bowls you could get"

Of course I chose that moment to pipe into the conversation and gave them some basic goldfish facts. After talking to the group about my fish-keeping experiences to date and answering some general questions I left the discussion 15 minutes later.

As I walked away I heard the oldest lady say "Well, imagine all that! I never knew that there was so much too it!"

Suffice to say I think they're back on the canary idea.

Back
Top Bottom