AP Master Test Kit -- expiration date/formula change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

I bought a new tank over the summer and got a "Master Test Kit" from AP that appears to be somewhat old as part of the deal. The test kit includes PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, GH and KH tests. The box is definitely an older style than what the current AP master kit looks like.

The kit does not have the booklet with the color charts and instructions for how many drops to put in the beakers. It must be different from the tests they are making now, because the ammonia test only has one bottle instead of two... Is this something I will just have to throw out or does someone have the instructions as to how many drops of test solution need to go in what beaker? Also, are the colors I'm looking for the same? (i.e. the ammonia test should come out yellow, not green and the nitrite test should come out blue, not purple).

I'd love to know if there is any chance I could get some use out of this kit, or whether it would be best to just toss it.

Best way to tell would be to compare the results of your test kit with the results from a newer one. Try posting in the classified section, someone just might have a spare set of color charts. From what I've seen, they are the same. The bottles should have a date printed on them, though I'm not sure whether it's an expiration date, or the date they were manufactured. I got a master test kit with a used tank deal. The bottles are dated different months of 02. I also have an older bottle of FW pH solution, dated 96, that works as well as the newer bottle.

Toss it. No reason to go through the hassle of trying to find the color charts, only to find out that one or more of the reagents might be bad. Also single bottle ammonia tests are not recommended. I believe the reason is that 2-step ammonia tests first convert all ammonia to NH3 and then gives you a total amount whereas the single step will miss the ammonium (NH4). Or viceversa. I've had 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 days, so please excuse the stupidity...

7Enigma said:
Toss it. No reason to go through the hassle of trying to find the color charts, only to find out that one or more of the reagents might be bad. Also single bottle ammonia tests are not recommended. I believe the reason is that 2-step ammonia tests first convert all ammonia to NH3 and then gives you a total amount whereas the single step will miss the ammonium (NH4). Or viceversa. I've had 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 days, so please excuse the stupidity...

if you really want to know , research the differences between a Nessler based kit and a salicylate based kit. Nessler being the one that has the single bottle.

Back
Top Bottom