Apartment Safe Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be okay with a 55... be careful carrying it up the stairs.

I know that when I was looking for my own place 4/5 said nothing larger than 20. One said nothing larger than a 20 without renters insurance (which you should have anyway).

Freshwater tanks leave marks too. :) Had three tanks in an apartment several years ago. Those little spills often leave nasty marks when you go to move.

I think floor support would not be an issue. Your tank breaks/empties and dumps that much water out and the folks below you are not gonna be happy. Even if there is something in the lease saying you can have the tank, I am not sure about the liabilities associated with damages that occur due to leakage. Laws probably vary from state to state.

I'm in CA and have seen leases that prohibit tanks over 20 gallons and even one that prohibited anything filled with over two gallons of water (so no waterbeds either). Never lived at any of those places though.

I've lived in one apartment with a limit of 20 gallons, one with no problems with aquariums at all, although this was probably because the floors were tile and the place was only one story, and the trailer I rent now has a no-water-filled-furniture-at-all clause, but I talked to the landlord before we moved in and he ok'd my tanks. My neighbor also has tanks, but she had them since before that rule was put in place. So to be fair, he takes aquariums on a case by case basis.

Your average tub in your apartment/house holds 40-60 gallons of water when full, not including with you in it, and a Jacuzzi style tub holds even more.. Does that fall thru the floor ???? I dont think so.... Nobody seems to be to worried about that... Bring in the TANKS!!!!! :thanks:

RickkyBobby said:
Your average tub in your apartment/house holds 40-60 gallons of water when full, not including with you in it, and a Jacuzzi style tub holds even more.. Does that fall thru the floor? I dont think so.... Nobody seems to be worried about that? Bring in the TANKS!!!!! :thanks:

Buildings are built with extra support in the bathroom to hold the tub. Also, the tub isn't always filled with water. The tub isn't also maybe two to three feet off the ground on a stand, either. The height of the tank does matter in terms of the pressure it puts on the floor. I'm not saying that his floor won't hold the tank, because it probably will, however it is still in his best interest to check with his landlord and to try and find the place with the best support to hold the tank. Odds are, the extra 10 gallons of water and the extra weight of glass won't be enough of a difference to damage the floor even though his former tank didn't, but better safe than sorry. In his situation, a tank failure could mean water damage, floor damage, injury to himself or others in his building, death of all his fish, and probably eviction.

Just gonna chime in here, it's most important what your landlord says. I started up a 40g long just to have my landlord tell me to tear it down. My apartment can easily support it, but it's just something they don't want in their apartments for damage control.

Buildings are built with extra support in the bathroom to hold the tub. Also, the tub isn't always filled with water. The tub isn't also maybe two to three feet off the ground on a stand, either. The height of the tank does matter in terms of the pressure it puts on the floor. I'm not saying that his floor won't hold the tank, because it probably will, however it is still in his best interest to check with his landlord and to try and find the place with the best support to hold the tank. Odds are, the extra 10 gallons of water and the extra weight of glass won't be enough of a difference to damage the floor even though his former tank didn't, but better safe than sorry. In his situation, a tank failure could mean water damage, floor damage, injury to himself or others in his building, death of all his fish, and probably eviction.

yes alyxx ,, if the landlord doesn't want it then u shouldn't do it.. i agree with you there...

Sometimes landlords don't want tanks because of possible mold problems from the extra moisture in the air.

That stinks to have to tear down the tank after setting it up.

luckily now, I am working oversea in Thailand. 99% of buildings here are Concrete! so, no problem for me. But the worst part is that the stair way and elevator are just too small to bring up a tank that more than 48" and up.

I don't see any listed in rental agreement on aquarium tank...they stated only DOGs and CATs.

Schism said:
Also for comparison my brother has a 90g tank on the second floor of his apartment. The floor along with the rest of the house was built in 1890. Yes I said 1890. The tank has been up their for 3 years, i would easily trust sleeping under it. Just my opinion and experience, hope it helps.

Also the pic is my floor, not his 1890 floor lol.

Hey I just noticed. I know ABSOLUTELY ZERO about structures, so I'm gonna risk sounding like an idiot. What are those blue things in that picture?

christine2012 said:
Hey I just noticed. I know ABSOLUTELY ZERO about structures, so I'm gonna risk sounding like an idiot. What are those blue things in that picture?

They are grey metal actually i believe they its just called floor joist bracing. In this case cross bracing. It stiffens the floor up. They are simply nailed or screwed in place. Hope that answers your question as thats about all i know about it lol.

Bottom line...check with your landlord. It may very well hold, but if something happens and you have something there that is not allowed, it is going to spell trouble got you. Not worth the liability in my opinion. It's gonna be sad if something happens or if you spend a bunch of time and money and they make you tear it down.

Schism said:
They are grey metal actually i believe they its just called floor joist bracing. In this case cross bracing. It stiffens the floor up. They are simply nailed or screwed in place. Hope that answers your question as thats about all i know about it lol.

Yes it does lol

Schism said:

You are correct it is for extra support but the main purpose is to prevent the floor joists from twisting which adds longevity to the floor.

I would advise you to do as so many have already said. Many years ago this same type of argument was made concerning waterbeds. No apartments would allow them on upper floors even though they weigh less per square foot than a refrigerator. Structurally, the apartment should be fine with a 55. However, the landlord has the final say. It never hurts to ask. The worst that could happen is for him/her to say no.

Retired_AF said:
I would advise you to do as so many have already said. Many years ago this same type of argument was made concerning waterbeds. No apartments would allow them on upper floors even though they weigh less per square foot than a refrigerator. Structurally, the apartment should be fine with a 55. However, the landlord has the final say. It never hurts to ask. The worst that could happen is for him/her to say no.

+1 that's when you build a cabinet around the whole tank that way you can close it up when ever he/she is coming over and never suspect a thing ;)

Back
Top Bottom