API algaefix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting to get a small hair algae problem in my tank. I've read a lot of positive things about algaefix but I don't really like putting chemicals in my tank. I do regular water changes and my parameters are all good. When I do water changes I try to get the algae off the rocks but it on there pretty good. Anything else I can do ?

Yes you can find the source that feeds the algea and cut it off. Other chemicals and livestock are only a bandaid solution.

I do 25 % weekly water changes. Feed every other day and get my salt water from my LFS. Where else do I look ?

Before you add your pwc water to your tank do a water test on the water to make sure you are not adding the ammonia and nitrates to the tank.

never thought of that. Friday is my water change day. I will check the water I get tomorrow. What if the water checks out good ? What is my next step ?

Only feed twice a week and not more than your fish can eat in a couple minutes time.

I am more suggesting of an every other day feeding rather than just twice a week. But even then I would look more at nutrient removal methods such as a refugium or a skimmer. Since I added my refugium on my 20g reef I havent had a single positive nitrate reading since May.

Algaefix is generally a bad idea as it will remove oxygen from the water possibly putting livestock at risk.

I am more suggesting of an every other day feeding rather than just twice a week. But even then I would look more at nutrient removal methods such as a refugium or a skimmer. Since I added my refugium on my 20g reef I havent had a single positive nitrate reading since May.

Algaefix is generally a bad idea as it will remove oxygen from the water possibly putting livestock at risk.

Did you do a HOB fuge or did you go with an overflow?

Back
Top Bottom