API Master Test Kit and green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
So! My Husband gave me one of my presents early due to my 5g having a huge algae problem...

I FINALLY got the master Test Kit, but I'm a little confused by it.

Do you only use the high range pH test when your regular pH test is off the charts?

Temp: 79.8
Ph: Was waaay darker blue than the little card showed
High Range pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 :D
Nitrites: 0 :D
Nitrates: 20

All I have living in there currently is a mickey mouse platy (Left over from before I knew what cycling was...) and a golden apple snail. Also, are there any tips or tricks to this kit?

Yes....if your unsure of colour on low chart. ie its gone off the chart use high PH.

if your tank isn't in direct sunlight (usually the cause of algae) i would reduce the lights by a couple of hours? I had the same problem tho i think mine was new tank syndrome?

Remember with the API test kit that you have to divide your nitrate readings by 4.4 to get the accurate number.

never heard of that before...API liquid tests are true to chart...nothing in the instructions about dividing anything.

never heard of that before...API liquid tests are true to chart...nothing in the instructions about dividing anything...

I agree, I've never heard that before either.

OP you really only need lights on for 6 hours until your algae starts going away and it actually wouldn't hurt to leave your lights off for 2-3 days the go to reduced light of 6 hours. Once algae is under control then a max photoperiod of 8 hours is recommended. Another thing, how often do you do WC's and how much water do you change out weekly?

never heard of that before...API liquid tests are true to chart...nothing in the instructions about dividing anything.

API test kits measure the total nitrates. All you want is the nitrate-nitrogen. To get the nitrate-nitrogen you have to divide by 4.4.

The API test kits are really annoying because if people don't know that they have to divide they can be completely misled. I once was fighting what i thought were nitrate problems in my old SW tank for months because I thought the nitrates were at 40 ppm (which was suspicious because all my inverts were thriving). Turns out it had been 5 ppm the entire time. I wasted all that time, water, and stress just because API forgot to say that it measures the total nitrate. :banghead:

still lost me im afraid.....never heard of that.....y give you a test and miss out crucial info??

lol...no extra maths....reduce your lighting.....as per previous comments....do weekly pwc ....

Yes extra math if you want an accurate test result. But if you want to be kept busy with unneccesary worrying and pwc's then no extra math. Just look it up in google! You'll see that it is necessary. Also reduce your photoperiod to 6 hours.

Yes extra math if you want an accurate test result. But if you want to be kept busy with unneccesary worrying and pwc's then no extra math. Just look it up in google! You'll see that it is necessary. Also reduce your photoperiod to 6 hours.

Can you please substantiate this 'math' for the nitrate test with facts?

To my knowledge the API test for nitrates or what some sources call nitrate nitrogen (vs ammonia nitrogen or nitrite nitrogen) are reasonably accurate for fw (though not great). My API results reflect approximately the same number for my tap (@10ppm) as those posted online with the annual water quality report (8ppm). Furthermore, our water was privately tested and resulted in 8.8ppm nitrates.

I just read that if you shake bottle two really hard for 60 sec. You end up with a higher reading than if you just shake it normally for 60 sec.

Back
Top Bottom