API pH tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. Those of you who are more confident about using the API test kit than I, I have a question. When testing the pH, my water reads in at the top of the scale in the regular test, very bottom with the high pH test. Since the regular stops at 7.6 and the high starts at 7.4, should I be assuming I'm around 7.5?

Water Chemistry Testing

Hey guys. Those of you who are more confident about using the API test kit than I, I have a question. When testing the pH, my water reads in at the top of the scale in the regular test, very bottom with the high pH test. Since the regular stops at 7.6 and the high starts at 7.4, should I be assuming I'm around 7.5?

Hello Kay...

pH tests results in th 7.4 - 7.6 range are fine. When I tested, quite some time ago, my readings were consistently 7.6. As long as the pH remains steady, fish are very tolerant of pH levels as low as 6.4 and as high as 8.5.

Unless you're into breeding rare, expensive fish, I really think you can ignore concerns about pH, hardness, etc. These things aren't very important to the success of your tank. As long as you don't try to change things, your fish will adapt to your tap water. Just treat it with Seachem's "Prime" or a similar product to detoxify the ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

B

My API test kit shows the exact same thing.... Fortunately, I have access to some nice pieces of lab equipment, with a quality digital Ph meter being among them. I brought it home for a weekend and ran a few tests at different times of the day (early morning, at the end of the light cycle, etc) and found that my Ph ranged between ~7.5 to 7.8, so I'd say you are just fine.

Ok, cool. I wasn't concerned, exactly, though I appreciate the back up to not being worried. More curious and a little confused it wasn't reading a definite number.

^_^

Back
Top Bottom