apple(mystery) snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camshark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey my apple snail died:nono: sucks he was really old and bigger then my thumb should i get a new one

If you like them then get another one. We had one for many years. He summered in one of the ponds and wintered in the house and was the size of a baseball when he took a bad fall and died. When he got big he was impossible to keep in a tank inside. We would just follow his slime trail in the morning to see where he was. Problem was when he got so large his escapes proved dangerous as he tended to fall. I did many shell repairs over the years. He was a lot of fun.

I love apple snails, get another one

Mine is currently about the size of a ping pong ball, very cool, do you add calcium to your tank?

No what would that do and if its good how do i get it

I get my cuttle bone from petsmart, it's very cheap, it is found in the birds section, you cut a chunk from it and your snail will absorb the calcium to aid with shell growth, that's probably why yours died

Most mystery snails grow to be at least golf ball size. The warmer the water though the shorter their lives. They live around 2 years or a little more in a tropical tank. You can use Tums or similar antacid tablets for calcium supplements. You can also use eggshells (just empty, rinse, and add to tank), and human calcium supplements. The one's with vitamin D are fine. My three original ones died recently and I miss them. I have two of their offspring though. I am getting a few more myself.

Back
Top Bottom