Appropriate cloth to cover filter intake with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just setting up a new tank and am not liking the filter intake much (very wide-gapped basket-- it's a Marineland Hex 5 with the stock filter). Since I'm intending on loading it with shrimp and a betta, I'd like to cover it so nobody is likely to get damaged.

Do I need to be particular about the cloth (aside from it being thin enough to get water through), or can I use almost anything as long as it's been washed and rinsed well?

You can buy the long square sponge that I think is made for a fluval filter and cut a square off of it whatever size you want, take a knife or pair of scissors and stick it through the middle of it, about halfway (do not cut a hole in it as it will stretch over the intake tube), then slide this over the intake tube. Of course, with this method you completely remove the basket type strainer that came with it.

In the past I have also used a media bag, however this clogs very fast because of the size of the holes, I have also cut the netting off of a net and tied it on as well. Panty hose can work too, however you run into the same prob with this as you do with a media bag.

pantyhose work well, as well as the netting from a fish net... if you use pantyhose, make sure theyre new and havent been washed though

EDIT: blueiz beat me to it

i use the sponges from the ac hobs or depending on the size of the filter hydro sponge filters.

Back
Top Bottom