Approve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon tall aquarium. It is a planted tank I set up a couple months ago. Want to see if you approve of this plan!

Water Parameters
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Chlorine=0
Alkalinity=40
Hardness=150
Ph=7.2
Temp=78-81.5

Current stock
-3 Dwarf Loach
-1 Rubber-Lip Pleco

-lots of different plants and some java moss on the artificial driftwood (I also have a rock stack)

Planned Stock (Won't Use All)
-Cherry Barb
-Gold Barb
-Redline Rasbora
-Golden Pencil fish
-Marbled Hatchet fish
-Congo Tetra
-Boseman's Rainbowfish
-Ansorge's Neolebias
-Clausen's steel-blue Killie

Thanks!

The Boseman's Rainbowfish won't work. Stay with the smaller fish.

Rainbowfish need schools of 5-6, and the minimum tank size for larger ones would be a 55, and definitely a longer tank, not a taller one.

The cherry and gold barbs sound awesome though! And the hatchetfish!

Chiroptera said:

Rainbowfish need schools of 5-6, and the minimum tank size for larger ones would be a 55, and definitely a longer tank, not a taller one.

Thanks for the advice! No experience with the others?

Chiroptera said:

A 40b has a larger foot print than a 55, so it allows for more horizontal swimming room. Fish don't always swim from edge to edge of the tank, they also swim from corner to corner. A 40b has a longer corner to corner length than a 55. I agree that the rainbows need a group of 5 or 6 though, and that a shorter and longer, fatter, or wider tank is better than a tall and skinny one.

Back
Top Bottom