Aptasia outbreak in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
in my 12 gallon nano, I've had a pretty massive outbreak of aptasia in the 20 gallon sump over the last 2-3 months. I'll remove 10-20 every water change with a razor blade on the glass, but they keep coming back stronger than ever.

I'm annoyed, as I haven't added anything to that tank in over 6 months.

At this point, the largest concentration is in the baffles where I can't get to them.

Any suggestions on getting rid of these pests? I feel like taking a weekend and just clearing the whole thing out. Dropping rock, good critters, etc in buckets and cleaning the whole thing with vinegar and RO. I did a terrible job with the plumbing (my first tank with a sump) so I wouldn't mind fixing that at the same time.

I haven't dealt with this before, so is this just a nuclear option and there are easier ways to go about it?

Thanks,

-greg

Get a needle and syringe and inject the base with lemon juice. I found just squirting lemon juice on them works too.

Get a needle and syringe and inject the base with lemon juice. I found just squirting lemon juice on them works too.

You need to get it in the oral disc not just the base or they'll just come back. Same thing with using a razor. Op if they're in a to tough a spot, the drain/clean might be your best bet.

Thanks everyone,

I think I'll just end up tearing the sump down and fixing my terrible plumbing while I"m at it :)

You need to get it in the oral disc not just the base or they'll just come back. Same thing with using a razor. Op if they're in a to tough a spot, the drain/clean might be your best bet.
Injecting into the base is supposed to be more effective. The anemone closes up and holds the lemon juice inside.

I make my own concoction. I liked Joes Juice and tried to make something like it.

One teaspoon of kalkwasser (lime)
1/4 teaspoon of corn starch to thicken the mixture and make it stick. Add water to the consistency that will come out of a hypo. Glue consistency. Then just lay this stuff in or on the aptaisia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aphasia X works really well. Shake, draw into syringe, place near mouth so the skirt wraps around syringe. Press down on plunger and watch the Aptasia melt.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

yeah, my problem is they are so far down the baffles I'll never be able to reach them unless I can find a 12" needle. But that recipe is a good call, Greg. i'm totally stealing that!

Do you think it works better than just super gluing if you can get the piece out of the tank to do it?

It's cheap and it doesn't destroy stuff around it. And it's cheap.
It's a bit pricey but a friend of mine developed the manjano wand. It also zaps aptasia and has a long reach.

It's cheap and it doesn't destroy stuff around it. And it's cheap.
It's a bit pricey but a friend of mine developed the manjano wand. It also zaps aptasia and has a long reach.

I shouldve known you two know each other. You've both had a saltwater reef going for a looong time.

Physically removing aiptasia from rocks is a mistake. They multiply when disturbed. Below is an excerpt from the attached link.

"While for many this may be their first reaction, extreme care should be used in this method. In attempting to remove Aiptasia anemones physically, every cell must be removed. You can not simply cut them up or brush them off. All that will result is many more Aiptasia returning a few weeks later. Since Aiptasia reproduce (quite effectively) by pedal laceration, tearing or breaking them up only serves to help them multiply much more quickly."

Aiptasia Anemone - Information and Control Methods

That's why my juice works well, you cover the pest with it. It leaves nothing to regrow.

I have applied AiptasiaX several times with no success. It was gone temporarily then a few weeks it regrow on same spot. I guess it depends on how it is applied properly more so if your tank is already being over run with Aiptasia. I introduced 2 peppermint shrimps and they gorge on them.

Try my stuff out and let me know what you think. It will cost 5 cents to make enough for a year.

Just get some hard airline tubing and syringe. If you can see them you can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom