Aqadvisor Down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I love messing with aqadvisor as I'm trying to decide what to add to my tank (please don't get into an aqadvisor debate right here- so not the point! Yes I know, just a tool etc etc...)

Lately though my shortcuts have all been redirected to advertisement sites and when I try to go to the websites home page it comes up blank. No other issues with any other website but aqadvisor. I've used both safari and firefox, so it doesn't seem to be browser specific.

Anyone else having that problem?

Glad it's not just me. Seemed unlikely given that no other website was giving me problems but still, good to know.

I was also using Crome on my PC but I had no luck. When I tried on my iPhone I also had no luck.

Okay, my inner troubleshooter is intrigued by this so I did some testing... It works on Chrome and Firefox for me on my work computer, but just loads a blank white screen on IE. My husband tried from home and it works on Chrome, but IE throws an error thinking it's a virus. Very odd!

The site has definitely been infected with something. It's not an overly complicated site and I bet someone didn't change an admin password somewhere, or the host server isn't running with any security.

It wants to pull up BS websites on my Galaxy S3 (using latest Chrome or built in Internet, Chrome I tried desktop and mobile), same deal on my Galaxy Tab 3. Using IE11 and Chrome both glitch out (using Windows 8.1). Frames fail to load or it tries to redirect to another site.

I'm really surprised the hosting service hasn't taken a flame thrower to that server or restored an old backup. I'm guessing it hasn't been updated in ages, either...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It must have told hacker their 5 gal goldfish tank was overstocked and they took it personal..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The site has definitely been infected with something. It's not an overly complicated site and I bet someone didn't change an admin password somewhere, or the host server isn't running with any security.

It wants to pull up BS websites on my Galaxy S3 (using latest Chrome or built in Internet, Chrome I tried desktop and mobile), same deal on my Galaxy Tab 3. Using IE11 and Chrome both glitch out (using Windows 8.1). Frames fail to load or it tries to redirect to another site.

I'm really surprised the hosting service hasn't taken a flame thrower to that server or restored an old backup. I'm guessing it hasn't been updated in ages, either...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly I'm wondering if the website's been mostly abandoned. They haven't updated the site logic, software, or species list since March 29, 2012, and the last hardware update was a year ago. Hopefully they're still monitoring it occasionally so they can realize what's going wrong and fix it. There really aren't any other calculators online that come close to it (that I know of at least), and a lot of people rely on it (hence why there's 3 threads about it being down on this forum alone). Sure, it's not perfect by any means, but I loved having the quick sanity check to point my further research in the right direction.

I read a post last week on another forum that it had been hacked. It wont work on my iphone/ipad and on my PC it works but my antivirus goes nuts. Sadly, I would stay away.

It must have told hacker their 5 gal goldfish tank was overstocked and they took it personal..

:ROFLMAO: Wouldn't surprise me! You've seen how angry people get on here when they're told their tank is too small/overstocked, I could totally see a tech savvy inexperienced fish keeper getting vengeance on the site!

Oh man, deeper into the rabbit hole.. it was our faults.. we told someone that their tank was over stocked and they should check aqadvisor. To their dismay they were in fact overstocked and they couldn't deal with the fact we had been the ones to throw this aqadvisor in their face repeatedly.. and for that they made us pay by taking our precious stocking calculator away from us.. :mindblown: movie due in theatres next summer..

I never noticed any redirects, on my machine it acts like there is bandwith and/or server/database problems and they probably don't want to spend the money to increase either.

I take that back, Chrome just redirected me to a fake Adobe Update site

http://videoplayerupdate.net

Oh man, deeper into the rabbit hole.. it was our faults.. we told someone that their tank was over stocked and they should check aqadvisor. To their dismay they were in fact overstocked and they couldn't deal with the fact we had been the ones to throw this aqadvisor in their face repeatedly.. and for that they made us pay by taking our precious stocking calculator away from us.. :mindblown: movie due in theatres next summer..

Oh god, what have we done! It's all true! We brought on the calculator apocalypse upon ourselves! If only we had known! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom