Aquaclear HOB and Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkman1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it be okay when adding Purigen to place it on the side with the fill tube instead of the media basket on a AC110?

Would it be better to place it in my canister next time I clean it?

No, the Purigen should be placed after mechanical filtration. You won't get enough flow anyway in the intake chamber and the Purigen will get full of gunk.

How big is your tank?

I suggest you use two 100 ml bags of Purigen ...... one in each filter. I have two bags of it in my Fluval C4 on my 29 gallon and one bag in each for my C3's in my 38 gallon. It is no more expensive to do it this way as each bag will last twice as long.

No, the Purigen should be placed after mechanical filtration. You won't get enough flow anyway in the intake chamber and the Purigen will get full of gunk.

How big is your tank?

I suggest you use two 100 ml bags of Purigen ...... one in each filter. I have two bags of it in my Fluval C4 on my 29 gallon and one bag in each for my C3's in my 38 gallon. It is no more expensive to do it this way as each bag will last twice as long.

This is a 120 gallon aquarium, it has two ac110's, also one Filstar XP4 canister, and one Sunsun HW-303B canister.

I purchased the 250ml bottle along with two of the bags. I will use half in each bag and place one bag in two filters. Do you think it would be better to just open the canisters and place them in there?

This is a 120 gallon aquarium, it has two ac110's, also one Filstar XP4 canister, and one Sunsun HW-303B canister.

I purchased the 250ml bottle along with two of the bags. I will use half in each bag and place one bag in two filters. Do you think it would be better to just open the canisters and place them in there?
WOW ..... big tank(y). Yes. I'd put it in both canisters for sure. The AquaClears have just way too much bypass which is exacerbated when you put in a "tight" product like Purigen which could restrict the flow.

BTW: the best way to deal with AC bypass is to use aquarium safe duct tape on the side holes.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=aquaclear+bypass+issue

Back
Top Bottom