Aquaclear Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschweg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question about AC filters.

I recently upgraded my Whisper to a higher output Aquaclear 30 for some better filtration. I'm very happy with the filter, but it's pretty noisy motor wise. In comparison with the Whisper, which is dead slient, the new AC is pretty loud, I can hear the motor running from across my living room. Is this "normal" or do you think there is an issue with the pump?

Thanks in advance, this is my first experience with AC filters.

I don't really hear my Aquaclear at all, except for the sound of the water splashing the surface.

I also upgraded from a Whisper 60. I purchased a AC 110 on 06/15/2005. After 2 weeks of running it started making a loud noise. You could feel the vibration in the motor unit if you put your had on it. Also if you took the filter apart and just ran the motor off of the filter you could still hear it. I took the filter back to PetSmart and the guy at PetSmart said they had 2 others come back that week with the same problem. I got an exchange with no problem and this one does seem to be quieter than the other AC. I contacted Hagen about the AC problem and they sent me a reply that they have had very little issues with this filtration system but if I would send them the motor they would replace it.

I would recommend taken the filter back for replacement. I really like the AC filter system but I couldnt stand the noise from it. If this one starts doing the same thing I will have to make another choice on a filter system. I guess it would be a canister type next. I'm not really into the bio-wheel thing.

Well, one time when i was cleaning mine, i dropped it and the plastic that holds the pump on the bottom broke, so i couldn't snap it back in, but i still had the plastic ring and everything, so i just ducktaped the pump onto the bottom, maybe that's why i don't have any problems? LOL.
I would suggest taking it back if its that loud.

hmm. Thanks for all the replies, prehaps I will contact Hagen to see about getting a replacement motor.

I already misplaced the receipt, so I'm sure I can't take it back to my LFS.

I use Aquaclear and never had noise problems. The noise comes only when there is some build up in the suction area or in the motor area.. my few cents.... :D

The only noise you should be hearing is if the lid is vibrating due to the motor vibrations. If you remove the little lid, does it go silent? If so, try just putting a little somethign on the lid that's heavy enough to keep it from vibrating noisily...like a paperweight or something similar.

If it's still noisy, I'd clean the motor inside, removing the impeller to clean it too. Clean the impeller housing with q-tips. If there's a tiny grain of sand down in there, it'll make the filter noisy.

Lastly make sure there's not an air pocket in the intake tube...that'll make noise too.

I have a old aqua clear the 500 model.. Ive used them for a little over 10 years. The problem is likely with the balance of the impeller (it is a very persision part and sometimes they get a little out of ballance) and that can cause the sound your talking about.. If its new, take it back to the store. I personaly fittle with it untill it's back in ballance, this happens with all HOB's with time IME. (the motor itself is just a electromagnetic part it shouldnt make any noise) HTH

Bhunsucker said:
cinciboy,
What do you do about the build up in the suction area

I tried to remove the stuff manually every two days.. Also I clean up the tubes with used up tooth brushes. In my new 29Gal, I used a rock with a hole like feature which covers the suction portion. So the suction portion is actually below my gravel level but protect the fishes and plants with the rock. This works very well.

Back
Top Bottom