Aquaclear-what inserts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I'm currently running a 15gal Aquatech (left over from an old tank) and a 50gal Aquaclear filter on my 36 gal tank. I decided to save the carbon insert that came with the Aquaclear setup and instead put in an ammonia insert. (Currently I'm running a sponge, an ammonia insert, then biomax on top.) However, I've done some reading in the month+ since I set the filter up and have read two things... 1) after a month of use the ammonia insert needs to be changed and 2) many recommend not using an ammonia insert at all. I'm getting ready to do my weekly PWC and was thinking of taking the ammonia insert out and replacing it with a sponge (I have an extra one.) Opinions?

Also, the Use Instructions on the Aquaclear state to change the sponge every two months and the biomax insert every three months. I'm assuming I can keep using the sponge as long as I can rinse it "clean" during water changes...What about the biomax insert?

I have aquaclear 300 and 500...I just use two sponges in both without carbon bags.

Nothing but sponges. Water stays pretty clear as long as I'm up on my maintenance. :)

In my opinion whats great about the aquaclear filters is that you don't need to buy the specific replacement media. Personally I would remove the ammonia remover, once you have an established filter it would be redundant. I would go with a sponge and biomax personally, if you wanted something for water clarity I use purigen, which is similar to carbon but can be regenerated, and I believe it to be superior.

About the suggested maintenance, ignore it, they just want you to buy more filter media. You can rinse the sponge out in tank water until it falls apart, at that time buy a new one :) Your biomax should not be replaced unless its breaking down which will take a long time.

I use only sponges and bio max in my AC's. Sponge/biomax/sponge in that order. I only use carbon if I'm trying to clear tannins or meds.

By all means use the second sponge, along with the biomax if you have it. The sponges can be used until they start to disintegrate (takes years), and I can't imagine why you would change the biomax.

i have an AC50 that is 3 years old and the sponge is still good. i use sponge on bottom then biomax and then some filter floss on top to get the really fine particles. i use 2 sponges in an AC70 on another tank.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear..thanks for all the feedback. Will go ahead and take the ammonia insert out and stick the extra sponge in!

AC30, AC50, AC70, and AC110 - Sponge and biomedia only. I have extra biomedia in a few filters that I use to seed other tanks when needed.

Back
Top Bottom