Aqualogic/Ranco Controller, Which Heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Innovator

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those with an Aqualogic/Ranco controller, what Brand of heater are you using? I'm trying to find out which ones they work best with. Thankies :)

I'm using a Johnson Controls controller... not sure if it makes a difference though. I'm using it on 2x Visitherms - not the Stealths. No issues really to speak of. I have the thermostats on the heaters set to 84 or 86 (can't remember) as a "failsafe", and not just set to their max. Once in a while during a heating cycle, one of the heaters will turn off for a couple minutes, even though the controller is on. After a couple minutes, it will come back on again. I just figure it's either locally reaching that temperature and the heater's thermostat is kicking it off, or there is an internal overtemp switch that kicks the heater off after XX minutes. Either way, it doesn't really bother anything, just takes a little longer to bring things up to temp, which is probably a good thing.

I use an Ebo Jager on a controller and do what Kurt said. I set the heater to a couple degrees hotter than my controller to be redundant. My controller is the APEX Neptune so it does more than just control temp. I let my controller do most of the work and use the thermostat on the heater just as a secondary fail safe.
Ebo Jager works well for me. German engineered from Eheim I believe.

Last edited:
I have a Visitherm and a Stealth heater hooked up to my dual stage Ranco. I have both heaters cranked up to about 90 just to make sure they come on when the Ranco gives them power.

Back
Top Bottom