Aquarium badly stocked need advice asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I need anyone who has kept these fish in a tank to give me advice what needs to go, my two friends (couple) were given a tank by a friend with everything in it for dirt cheap, without fish I mean, the tank is 182 litres, not sure how much that is in gallons though, but they have been going to pet shops and asking them for advice without doing research themselves and it seems as though all these pet shops have been taking advantage of them and just selling them whatever fish it is that they can sell them. They informed yesterday of what they had stocked this tank with after they finished the cycle and I am very aware that almost all of these fish should not be together but I was hoping someone could give advice on any fish out of these that they can keep please and thank you.
It's two golden gourami
Two dwarf gourami
One kissing gourami
Four red tail sharks
4 Plecos (they aren't sure which kind)
4 mollies.
A school of tetras they aren't sure what type.
Two angels

I checked how big the tank is in gallons it is 48 gallons
The tank is also a 4 foot long tank if that helps
I only keep live bearers and catfish and some fighting fish, and one golden honey gourami at the moment so I am not so knowledgeable about the rest of these fish I did in the past own one red tail shark but I had to downsize and sell the tank when I moved houses.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I haven't seen the tank personally but I'm pretty sure that all gouramis would be male and as far as I know the rules is usually to have one gourami in a tank, all I can really say is that these pet shops have really screwed them over

That's way too many sharks, and the gourami situation is unstable at best. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the rest, but I know that angels have very specific needs that often aren't compatible with other fish listed.

Stocking is so fun, and the fish are always sold so little that it's easy to think everything will be okay. It does sound like your friends are being taken advantage of, HOWEVER are they happy with the situation? Are they telling you this excitedly, or are they hesitant and having doubts? If they're happy, tell them *once* that their stocking sets up red flags for you and then leave it alone. When they have problems in the future, you can gently encourage them to consider their stocking. If they're having doubts, send them this way. There are lots of experienced aquarists generous with their knowledge on sites like this. Like this, though, with a courtesy policy. Some other forums have mean and nasty members who seem to be more active than anyone else.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

That's way too many sharks, and the gourami situation is unstable at best. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the rest, but I know that angels have very specific needs that often aren't compatible with other fish listed.

Stocking is so fun, and the fish are always sold so little that it's easy to think everything will be okay. It does sound like your friends are being taken advantage of, HOWEVER are they happy with the situation? Are they telling you this excitedly, or are they hesitant and having doubts? If they're happy, tell them *once* that their stocking sets up red flags for you and then leave it alone. When they have problems in the future, you can gently encourage them to consider their stocking. If they're having doubts, send them this way. There are lots of experienced aquarists generous with their knowledge on sites like this. Like this, though, with a courtesy policy. Some other forums have mean and nasty members who seem to be more active than anyone else.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

That is pretty much what I had told them, they're only beginners and they don't have any idea what they are doing they came to looking for advice, I advised that I think they should have the one shark in there, I explained that most often it doesn't work to have that amount of gouramis and told them it was probably best to get rid of that kissing gourami because it is already twice the size of everything else in there.
Yeah I thought it was a bad idea with the angels too but they seem to be their favourite and aren't happy with getting rid of them but anything else they seem willing to try.
Do you believe it would work if they were to have the one red tail shark and take out the kissing gourami. They have had one angel death since I posted this also

Find out what type of plecos and tetras they have, they could keep the angel, mollies, one dwarf gourami OR golden gourami, probably the tetras depending on what they are, one or more of the plecos depending on what they are and one red tailed shark.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom