Aquarium fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good call! I would also recommend buying a GFCI portable outlet plug if the outlet(s) you have your gear plugged into are not GFCI receptacles. They are only a few dollars at the hardware store, and worth every penny!

EDIT: You guys both saw this and started threads, so I merged 'em together :)

Last edited:
In 1975, my families pet store burned down. Faulty florescent ballasts over the fish tanks. Killed everything, puppies, kittens, all of it. I had to help clean up the mess. As a result I take grounding and fire proofing very seriously the rest of my life. Don't take chances.

Reactions: HN1
Gregcoyote said:
In 1975, my families pet store burned down. Faulty florescent ballasts over the fish tanks. Killed everything, puppies, kittens, all of it. I had to help clean up the mess. As a result I take grounding and fire proofing very seriously the rest of my life. Don't take chances.

All man I'm sorry to hear :( that would totally suck. Look at how many responses this thread has had. People don't think and if they do they say it won't happen to me. Sad to think about

Thanks Fort

Definitely a sobering reminder of what can go wrong. 99.9% of the time, people will be fine, but that .1% is absolutely devastating.

fort384 said:
Definitely a sobering reminder of what can go wrong. 99.9% of the time, people will be fine, but that .1% is absolutely devastating.

I posted this on Facebook aswell and said I wonder how many fires are put out in the world a year because of something aquarium related.?

Saltwater, hot electrical equipment running 24/7 for years. That is a formula for disaster and why drip loops, grounding and quarterly inspections are important.

I got all my equipment on a surge protector. Never thought about a gfci. Guess I'm gonna have to install one of them bad boys lol. Good thing about gfci is that what ever outlets you have on down the circut are also protected

aaronjohn20 said:
I got all my equipment on a surge protector. Never thought about a gfci. Guess I'm gonna have to install one of them bad boys lol. Good thing about gfci is that what ever outlets you have on down the circut are also protected

Even with a surge protector you need to be careful. When I had saltwater ( back in the day ) I had one burn up when I wasn't home because my sump overflowed during a power outage. Then it happend again when my over flow box started leaking and it was dripping on a cord. When I built my tank I have now I took extra cation on where my plugs was going to be.

That's why I'm gonna install a gfci tomorrow or on thanksgiving. Ill give my fish somethin else to be thankful for lol

I'm good on that lol. I've got a new gfci lying around plus I know what I'm doing. I did have a surge protector burn up one day though now that we're on the subject. I had my window a/c on one outlet, my 55" flat screen, ps3, and 1000w sony sorround sound on the surge protector on another outlet, and my aquarium equipment (filter, dual outlet air pump, 200w heater, circulation pump, and light) on a surge protector on another outlet. All on the same circuit. My wife woke me up and said everything was off. Checked it out, breaker was tripped. Reset the breaker and heard a pop come from the living room. I get out there and hear something sizzleing. Afraid of the worst I went and switched the breaker off and I could smell it by now. The surge protector on the entertainment was fried. Luckily we were home, and nothing got fried. That would of been a very expensive bill

aaronjohn20 said:
I'm good on that lol. I've got a new gfci lying around plus I know what I'm doing. I did have a surge protector burn up one day though now that we're on the subject. I had my window a/c on one outlet, my 55" flat screen, ps3, and 1000w sony sorround sound on the surge protector on another outlet, and my aquarium equipment (filter, dual outlet air pump, 200w heater, circulation pump, and light) on a surge protector on another outlet. All on the same circuit. My wife woke me up and said everything was off. Checked it out, breaker was tripped. Reset the breaker and heard a pop come from the living room. I get out there and hear something sizzleing. Afraid of the worst I went and switched the breaker off and I could smell it by now. The surge protector on the entertainment was fried. Luckily we were home, and nothing got fried. That would of been a very expensive bill

Very expensive is right it could have started a fire

Back
Top Bottom