Aquarium In Apartment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey you guys think a 50 gallon saltwater tank with 40 pounds of live rock and 50 pounds of Live sand is too much weight for a third floor apartment? It's wood floors, up against a wall that also matches the wall on the second and first floor so I'm thinking it's a load bearing wall. Was built in 1921 also. Wife is scared it's going to go straight thru the floor....

Seeing how my house is holding a 90g with 90lbs of rock, 80 lbs of sand, a 29g refugium, and 10g top off reservoir in a house older than that; I think you're fine :)

Yours is really no different than 2 people sitting on a couch

I always suggest making sure that a tank is going across several floor joists. That being said, my living room floor was once chewed up by wood boring beetles. This same floor is supporting a 55 reef with 20 sump right beside the couch that my wife and I use.
That said, make sure you check your lease. Sometimes you will find things about aquariums in them, to where they are either not allowed or limited in terms of size due to potential damage that can be caused.

+1 on the floor joists!

We lived in a third floor apartment years ago, by the time we moved I had 15 tanks running :whistle:

I am on the third floor and have a 40b with a 20L sump. I also have a 54g corner tank in the living room. I did have to get the ok from the apartment before putting the tanks in. they had a restriction on how large the tanks could be on the third floor. It wasn't the weight they were concerned with as much as the possible flood from a tank breaking.

I would definitely check with management before investing in the tank.

I have a 75 on the second floor so it should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to have a 125 with a 75 gallon sump underneath in a 2nd floor apartment for a couple years against an interior wall. You are fine. No worries.

Definately check your rental agreement. Aquarium policies are almost always included and sometimes limit size. If you exceed that and there is an overflow, even a minor one, you can be held liable for any and all damages. However contents insurance can be used to offset those costs.

Problem is not the floor holding it, but what happens if it leaks. You will be liable for damages. So be sure to check your rental agreement and take precautions to keep any escaping water under control.

Check your rental agreement, as most have limitations on sizes of water filled objects. No sense setting something up only to have to tear it down later if its too big.

I would get rental insurance as a backup. We added it to out automobile insurance and our monthly rates went DOWN a couple bucks. I don't get how adding a $300k house to the cars costs less, but I'll take it. Make sure you specifically ask about the aquarium leaking/breaking and would the insurance cover it. My State Farm said Yes, but I have heard of other people's insurances saying no.

Back
Top Bottom