Aquarium lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghettorigged

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings!

I recently aquired 2 more tanks from a fella who moved and doesn't want to have fish anymore. I went through everything he has and the lights are there but there are no lids for the tanks. :? Anyone know what I can use to make lids? I have cats and really MUST have lids and my current tanks came with glass tops.

Thanks!
:D

here at petsmart theres lids for 5 gallons for 9.99 and lids for 10 gallon for 12.99

Petco has glass lids that are 3 pieces & I believe I've seen them at Wal Mart. Otherwise depending on your preferrence --I would think you could get a piece of plexiglass cut to your specs--maybe even a piece of glass could be cut.

Find a good glass shop. I got tops for my 50 for under 10 bucks. Just measure the space for the top really well.

Silicone glue and some cabinet knobs and you are done. :D

my local PetsMart has 10gal glass lids for under 10 bucks.

You don't mention what size the tanks are, so as long as theur under 20gal in size you should be fine.

any larger than that and it most likely will be cheaper to go to a glass shop.

I prefer glass tops to the plastic hoods with a plexiglass slot for the light. full glass canopies offer more lighting options.

The only problem I have with the full glass hoods is that my cat just loved to jump on top of the tank and stare at the fish. This wasn't a problem as a kitten (well for my kitten anyway, I'm sure my fish had a problem with it). But my kitten quickly turned into a fat cat , and I started worrying about the cat falling through the lid into the water.

I think there have been a thread or two about "catproofing" tank lids recently, but I would try obscuring the open glass part with contact paper, and leave alone the area covered by the light strip (assuming the light strip rests on the tank and is not suspended). That way there is nothing to see from the cat's perspective on top of the tank. Double sided tape on the glass top might work, too.

Back
Top Bottom