aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Can anyone please advise on how long I should be leaving my aquarium lighting on each day please. Also I have a timer switch so any specific times I should be setting for it to come on and off. Is 30 gallon tank and at the moment has 4 bronze corydoras, 4 x-ray tetra and 4 guppies. Thanks.

re:

I'm doing a 12/12 lighting cycle. They come on at noon and go off at midnight.

I have the lights on my 55 gallon tank come on for 6 hours a day then the blue led's come on for another 4 hours. I was keeping the main lights on for 10 hours but started having an algae problem. Since I cut back the time, the algae went away...

Thanks. Yeah was thinking something similar but maybe more like 9 hours on between 1pm till about 10pm ?

No plants? Don't need lights at all IMO, yes we want lights to view or finned friends. My lights come on at 3:30pm just when I'm getting home. And they go off at 10:00pm.

Good point about the algae. Will keep an eye on that. Maybe think about trying 7-8 hours then. My tank is fairly near a window but is not in any sunlight at all so does get good natural light without the worry of direct sunlight. Having said that its so much more pleasing to the eye to watch the fish with lights on! Really brings out their lovely details and colours.

Last edited by a moderator:
My lights come on at 2pm and go off at 8pm. I purchase some of those strip lights off e-bay and glued them inside the hood where my main light is. You can change the colors on the lights to just about any color. I have mine on blue. Looks great at night and MUCH cheaper than the led lighting. 3 foot section for 8 bucks..Can't go wrong

Back
Top Bottom