Aquarium Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelinds

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am looking to start up a large salt water tank sometime in the summer, somewhere between 75-100 gallons. My roommate has had a salt water tank before, so he knows a bit about taking care of them. I was wondering though, would it be feasable to have lighting underneath the tank as well as the standard overhead lighting? I know I need to have live rock and such in the tank, but I was looking to have a few lights in box positioned underneath the tank, and have the light glow through glass rocks that i'd have in the bottom of the tank (just a visual effect to have on every once in a while). My roommate doesn't think that would be good for salt water fish, more of a thing to do with freshwater fish. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lindsay

I assume you wany fish only/FOWLR setup. My personal preference is not to do this. It looks funky/unnatural, and doesn't benefit the tank in any way (you need to clean out the glass pebbles very frequently, etc).

I'd go with 2" of fine white calcium based sand (no crushed coral) and live rock. Fine oolitic sand is very bright white and reflects light well, giving it a glowing look. This also lets you keep sand dwelling creatures which can clean it for you (hermits, snails, etc)

I agree a sand bottom would be much better. They make submergible tube lights that would do what you are talking about.

I agree. Sand is the better way to go here. Cost alone would be enough to deter me from the glass stones, which would cost way more than the sand.

Back
Top Bottom