Aquarium overhangs stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gar1948

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a AP 24 which is 17.5"deep sitting on a 3/4" piece of plywood the same size. My aquarium stand is 14" deep. Is it ok the plywood and tank overhangs on the back of the stand by 3 1/2" ?
Thanks for any advise before I fill the tank.

As long as the black rim of the tank is supported by a flat surface with no large gaps between tank rim and surface you should be ok. If the plywood were to eventually droop (doubt it) then you may have a problem.

I have a 25 gal that I couldn't find a stand to fit when I bought it, so I got a piece of plywood and had it cut to fit the tank and put that on the closest stand I could find. It's been there now for about 3 years with no problems. Mine hangs out about an inch on both sides but fits the stand from front to rear. If I were you though, I'd have the plywood hang out by the same amount on the front and back rather than have it all hang out on the back. Might cause balance issues. You can always paint or stain the plywood to match the stand so it won't be noticeable. I spray painted mine black to match the black stand I was putting it on.

I have a AP 24 which is 17.5"deep sitting on a 3/4" piece of plywood the same size. My aquarium stand is 14" deep. Is it ok the plywood and tank overhangs on the back of the stand by 3 1/2" ?
Thanks for any advise before I fill the tank.

Reference my build thread for tanks that are not 100% level and on a perfectly flat surface. I would not trust the plywood to support the tank over the long haul. Any stress to the tank can cause it to crack.

Back
Top Bottom