Aquarium PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

go_buckeyes13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last summer while swimming in my grandmothers pool we found a baby Eastern Painted Turtle. We brought it home to to make sure it didn't die and nothing else happend to it. I bought a decent size tank for it and it has lived alone since.*

I've been doing a lot of research about turtles and fish in the same tank. From everything I've seen and read I believe it will work.I have slowly bought everything I needed to get the tank started. It has been completely opperational for about 2 weeks now.

Water is very clear, turtle loves the space and hiding spots. My problem is I bought a test kit. The one with the strips, everything shows perfect except the last 2. Total alkalinity and Ph are off the charts.I have tried to add the PH reducer, I changed half the water with distilled water. I added a piec of driftwood.*I've read so many different posts, some saying fish will adapt others say high PH will kill them.

*I am new to aquarium and I hope someone can help me...

Thanks

the fish will adapt just fine depending on the type you keep, id advise against discus (a very difficult fish) angels, and tetras since they like acidic water, everything else should do fine.

i myself have a PH of 8.2 and my fish have done fine for years, a stable PH is much more important and chemical PH reducers will do much more harm then good.

also try to invest in a liquid test kit like API freshwater master test kit ($20 on amazon) has test strips can be very inaccurate

Back
Top Bottom