Aquarium Salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you need it use it. If not don't use it. I think that works well.

Depends on what your using it for? If your fish aren't brackish then salt will only be used in some treatment methods. I don't have salt. When I needed to treat for columnaris I just used kosher salt.

I wouldn't use it on a regular basis in a freshwater tank (except for Mollies). It can be effective in treating some fish ailments.

I've used it to treat fin rot in betta tanks and it's worked well along with frequent water changes.

salt

Does aquarium salt help to cure ich? I always add it when i do water changes but do i need to do it more frequently to aid in fish health?
:fish2::thanks::fish2:

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Freshwater aquarium salt...

I've been told that it's bad by some and good by others. Opinions?

Hello m...

Every tank keeper has a little different opinion on the subject of salt. It depends on the fish and plants you keep. I keep large, planted tanks of mostly "Livebearers" and Corydoras and use about a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my replacement water. If you like, you can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt. No table salt, though. Too many additives that might not be good for your fish.

If you keep the amount small, say under a tablespoon per 5 gallons of new water, your plants will be fine and your fish, especially the "Livebearers" get a supplement that keeps them a bit healthier.

Just an opinion from an oldtime water keeper.

B

Hello m...

Every tank keeper has a little different opinion on the subject of salt. It depends on the fish and plants you keep. I keep large, planted tanks of mostly "Livebearers" and Corydoras and use about a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my replacement water. If you like, you can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt. No table salt, though. Too many additives that might not be good for your fish.

If you keep the amount small, say under a tablespoon per 5 gallons of new water, your plants will be fine and your fish, especially the "Livebearers" get a supplement that keeps them a bit healthier.

Just an opinion from an oldtime water keeper.

B
Would this work with danios and platys

Ok I just did a 25% water change and I am going to add aquarium salt to it after it dissolves in the water i have it in. Temp is 81.5 degrees now, so I hope this helps get rid of the ICH.Question, should I be dissolving the salt in water before adding it to the tank, or should I just sprinkle it in the tank water???

Ok I just did a 25% water change and I am going to add aquarium salt to it after it dissolves in the water i have it in. Temp is 81.5 degrees now, so I hope this helps get rid of the ICH.Question, should I be dissolving the salt in water before adding it to the tank, or should I just sprinkle it in the tank water???

Are all your fish ok with salt use? Not all fish will fair well with the salinity needed to treat ich. Minimum salinity needed to treat ich is .3% (11.4g/g). Predissolve it in conditioned water & add gradually over 48hrs. Only replace the salt you remove with water changes (ie, 50%wc, add back 1/2 original dose predissolved). It must be maintained for 1 week after the last spot is gone.

I have FW tanks. I would only use salt when treating disease and then, only sparingly.

People seem to be strongly opinionated either for or against it for consistent use. Expect to see both sides of the argument here.

Using Aquarium Salt

Would this work with danios and platys

Hello edu...

I'm on the side that recommends the use of a little standard aquarium salt in freshwater tanks.

I think most of the aquarium fish available would benefit from using a little in their tank water.

B

Raise the temp slowly to 86 Fahrenheit.

Hello edu...

I'm on the side that recommends the use of a little standard aquarium salt in freshwater tanks.

I think most of the aquarium fish available would benefit from using a little in their tank water.

B

How much would a little salt be? Do cichlids benefit from a bit of salt in the tank? Someone I know owns cichlids.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

How much would a little salt be? Do cichlids benefit from a bit of salt in the tank? Someone I know owns cichlids.

edu...

If you have a planted tank, you want to keep the salt to a minimum. Just for routine use, I'd recommend no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your water change water.

Treating parasites like "Ich", then you need to double the amount to two teaspoons per 5 gallons and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. Avoid vacuuming the areas around your plants. You don't want to damage the roots.

There are other considerations when dealing with parasites in the tank. But if you're just using the salt to benefit your fish and not treating parasites, then that's a topic for another time.

B

edu...

If you have a planted tank, you want to keep the salt to a minimum. Just for routine use, I'd recommend no more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your water change water.

Treating parasites like "Ich", then you need to double the amount to two teaspoons per 5 gallons and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. Avoid vacuuming the areas around your plants. You don't want to damage the roots.

There are other considerations when dealing with parasites in the tank. But if you're just using the salt to benefit your fish and not treating parasites, then that's a topic for another time.

B
What does aquarium salt help with just for benefits?

I heard African Cichlids like a little salt in their tanks is this true??

Using Aquarium Salt

What does aquarium salt help with just for benefits?

eduguy...

There are several benefits. All tanks have parasites living in them. The parasites can lay dormant for years and when a fish is stressed for whatever reason, probably from the tank keeper not taking care of the water, the parasites infect the fish. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate salt, so I I use a little. Gills are healthier in water with a little salt. Fish breath a little easier in water with a trace of salt in it. It's supposed to keep the fish skin healthy in general.

Livebearers, like Guppies, Platys, Mollies and Swordtails seem to like salt more than other aquarium fish, but I've used salt for several years in my Cory Cat tanks and the fish seem fine with it.

It's just a preference thing. Aquarium fish will survive without it.

B

eduguy...

There are several benefits. All tanks have parasites living in them. The parasites can lay dormant for years and when a fish is stressed for whatever reason, probably from the tank keeper not taking care of the water, the parasites infect the fish. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate salt, so I I use a little. Gills are healthier in water with a little salt. Fish breath a little easier in water with a trace of salt in it. It's supposed to keep the fish skin healthy in general.

Livebearers, like Guppies, Platys, Mollies and Swordtails seem to like salt more than other aquarium fish, but I've used salt for several years in my Cory Cat tanks and the fish seem fine with it.

It's just a preference thing. Aquarium fish will survive without it.

B

Ok. That sounds like some good benefits. :D

Back
Top Bottom