Aquarium with sloped front???? Can it work?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey people,
I've kept aquariums before, haven't for about one and a half years because I've been living out of home and studying in the city.

I was thinking of getting an aquarium, and of where to place it, when it dawned on me that my dressing table had a reasonable sized space to put one and is solid enough to bear one.
The issue is that this space would put the aquarium at a lower than desirable level.
My next thought was to get a custom made aquarium with a marginally slanted/sloped front pane of glass/acrylic, hoping this would add to the aesthetic quality of the aquarium.
My queries are whether this is plausible in a practical sense, and in terms of viewing of the fish and aquascaping?? Would it distort the view? It wouldn't be too slanted, so access wouldn't be significantly inhibited. Would it cause problems with surface exchange?

It would be for freshwater fish, and I'm not too sure of what dimensions I'd be after, but the base would be a square shape of about 20" x 17-18".
I would like to explore complications of this shaped aquarium before I considered it any great depth.

I google-searched a pic of an aquarium that is similar to my idea and attached it to this post (hope it works:rolleyes:).

Any help/ideas/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jus.

Attachments

• jebor550.jpg
    jebor550.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 709
A aquarium with that type of slope would work. The biggest drawback I see would be the cost of getting it built to spec.

The cost would be a pretty big setback, as well as cleaning the very front of it.

As long as you have the space on the bottom why would the sloped front help? I would probably rather have a bow front or hex to get the pleasing design for a small area.

Would one of those little 5 or 6 gallons not work? Eclipse (Marineland) has a few pretty nice ones that have really come down in price.

Would one of those little 5 or 6 gallons not work? Eclipse (Marineland) has a few pretty nice ones that have really come down in price.

With a 20" base, the Eclipse 12 would be 1" too big but a standard 10 gallon or 15 High would work and give you more space than the 5 or 6 eclipse. Personally I recommend standard tanks to the kits anyway. It gives you more direct control.

If height is a factor for the stand, then get another stand. You can get a simple wire frame 20" - 24" aquarium stand for around $25.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom