aquariumplants.com CO2 Regulator Electronic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterc007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a CO2 setup with my birthday money I'm looking at several regulators and I'm wondering if anyone could comment on the AQuariumplants.com "Carbondoser electronic" regulator? I'm also planning on getting the milwakee ph controller and some sort of diffuser or Reactor. I haven't settled on that yet so if anyone has an opinion I would like to hear it. Thanks!;)

I'd definitely just go with a whole Milwaukee setup. I got a solenoid, gauge, and controller plus tubing for $198 and free shipping.
I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Milwaukee is one of the best for the price.
Have it on a 20lb co2 tank on my 150nplantef. Love it.

I would probably pass up the pH probe. They're nice and all, but they're an extra $100 that's not actually doing anything for you beyond simplifying the process a little bit. Many, many people just have their regulator on cycles and it works fine. It also frees $100 that better spent elsewhere (larger CO2 tank, reactor parts, dry ferts, etc).

I'd definitely just go with a whole Milwaukee setup. I got a solenoid, gauge, and controller plus tubing for $198 and free shipping.
I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Milwaukee is one of the best for the price.

How long have you been running The milwakee Reg.? Thats one of the ones I was considering.

misterc007 said:
How long have you been running The milwakee Reg.? Thats one of the ones I was considering.

Since January. It was my Christmas present to myself ha.
Id look on Craigslist for a co2 tank. I got a 20lb for $80. They end up swapping them when you go to fill it so doesn't really matter if it's the prettiest. At least they swap them at airgas here in Tampa, it's $26 for a swap for a full tank.
As of about a month ago or so I had only used 5lbs.

Mr.Pleco said:

I too have the Milwaukee regulator, it works great! I agree with the past statement to skip the Ph controller and just buy a drop checker. I have been running my co2 on my 90 gallon for a few months and I just don't think it is worth the $100 all it takes is a few days of adjustments and then you don't even have to worry about it. I dont believe that co2 has to be so precise to have it constantly monitored, just set it on a timer to come on about 30-60 minutes before the lights come on and shut off about 30-60 minutes before the lights turn off. Also if you have a canister filter then I would recommend building an inline co2 reactor. (I did it and I might be the worst person as far as working with hands go) ;)

I also have a milwaukee regulator. It's a solid choice. Not the best on the market by any means, but it will do the job that it needs to do. My only complaint is that the needle valve isn't particularly good, but that can easily be replaced at a later date if you can't stand it.

You guys are really selling me on the milwakee regulator and I like that because it will save me money:) How about a reactor or difuser thou? Any suggestions?

You can build an inline reactor for ~$20, less if you already have PVC cement and primer. Rex Grigg has a good walkthrough for how to assemble one here.

misterc007 said:
You guys are really selling me on the milwakee regulator and I like that because it will save me money:) How about a reactor or difuser thou? Any suggestions?

I started with the Milwaukee and thought was crap. The electronic valve is great and easy to control. It comes with a three year warranty. I use a 5 gal CO2 tank and it last me 60 days.

I was getting excited to hear about the AP electronic regulator cuz I was looking into the same set-up in the future. Not to be the black sheep here, but I just read a lot of bad reviews about miliwaukee regulators being hard to keep stable and leaking. I was also concerned about tank dump too. Keep us posted on ur decision.

I'm sure lots of people don't know how to use Teflon tape correctly lol. The only time I've ever had anything close to a leak was because I didn't tighten it enough. Once I did that it was fine.
I turned the black know to just about completely open and then fine tuned with the brass knob.
But aside from that there are bad reviews on everything you research. Some people just have bad luck or get a dud every once in a while.

The small bit more you will pay for the CarbonDoser over the Milwaukee gets you twice the warranty and a 12volt solenoid. The electronic version looks sweet but way too much money.

The small bit more you will pay for the CarbonDoser over the Milwaukee gets you twice the warranty and a 12volt solenoid. The electronic version looks sweet but way too much money.

I'm looking at that one as well. They also have a internal reactor that I might try. I don't know if anyone has tried that one on here but if you have I would like to know.

I have 2 tanks already so I'm all set there. I can afford to spend a little more on this if I want to, I'm just not sure if it is necessary so I guess that is what I have to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom