Aquascaping a 150g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice man :D I'm growing Lilaeopsis right now too and it seems to be the first thing to attract algae. Does the algae come off of it easily? If so, you might try vacuuming it once in a while to remove it. If not (and I know you've got a big monster tank :wink: ) I've found that dosing with Flourish Excel has really helped my Lilaeopsis get over the algae bug. It takes a ton of Excel to dose a 150G tank so I can't say this is the cheap way out, but dang, it works wonders :)

Thanks all for the comments!
Bleemus, the light I use is Coralife freshwater power compacts:
http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=ltpc&SubCatID=2fresh
They come in different sizes, important is that you
have 2 to 3 watts/gallon (rule of thumb). But then when you reach that level of
light, you also need to inject CO2 in the tank, otherwise the algea will take over...
BTW, welcome to AA! :wave: This is a great place!

Travis, vacuuming doesnt seem to work on the lileaopsis, and the CAE doesnt
seem to like this kind of algea, LOL And flourish Excel... well I have never used
that so far... maybe I should give it a try. I am still on a learning curve, as far as
dosing is concerned. More of a trial & error thing. right now, I dose 20ml of NO3
& 10ml Potassium daily, 10ml of PO4 & 10ml Iron every other day, I alternate
Trace & Flourish, 20ml daily. With this "recipe", my params are pretty stable...
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! 8)

kaaikop said:
Travis, vacuuming doesnt seem to work on the lileaopsis, and the CAE doesnt
seem to like this kind of algea, LOL And flourish Excel... well I have never used
that so far... maybe I should give it a try. I am still on a learning curve, as far as
dosing is concerned. More of a trial & error thing. right now, I dose 20ml of NO3
& 10ml Potassium daily, 10ml of PO4 & 10ml Iron every other day, I alternate
Trace & Flourish, 20ml daily. With this "recipe", my params are pretty stable...
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! 8)

Given stable nutrient levels (NO3 at 10-15 ppm and PO4 at .5-1.0 ppm) the algae should eventually succumb (unless its BBA, that requires trimming all affected areas). Lilaeopsis can be quite a challenge from what I've read. I'm only just now getting mine to the point where it looks decent most of the time. It is just an algae magnet :(

Hello again!! I'm back after a very nice summer (too short up here) of windsurfing, quality cabin time, and work around the house... Now back to the "indoor" hobbies!
The tank is now about 6 months old, has been kinda neglected, and has gone through some serious algea outbreaks, however not a single tenant has dissapeared.
I guess this is due to the fact that I am not overstocked, and that's a good thing!

I have cut down on the light (switched off 2 x 96W units), and the fertilizing routine is now once a week. The parameters are holding extremely steady.
Most of the plants are exhausted, after being pruned so many times... most of what you see now are cuttings which were recently replanted,
but the next rainy weekend, I will head to my local LFS to get new plants, and try something totally different.

The only algea present (other than the normal green stuff growing on the glass panes, that can be easily removed with a magnet)
is some small brown pea-sized fuzzy balls, that grows on the driftwood and the foreground plants. It is not very sighty, but I can live with that.

Interesting: my 5 lbs. CO2 canister is coming to an end. 6 months in 150 gal tank, that is not bad at all! Will send new pics when I do some serious gardening. 8)

Attachments

• 6monthtank.jpg
    6monthtank.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 82
You say the tank has been neglected huh? I should be so lucky to have a great looking neglected tank such as yours. :) Anyway, glad to have you back on the boards and looking forward to updated pics.

Back
Top Bottom