Aquascaping an existing tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rank amateur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have had a tank for about 4 months, so I am pretty new to the hobby. I did my research and carefully selected everything I wanted but now after 4 months I realise that I really knew nothing and that I want to make some changes to my tank.

I would like to know how I can re-scape my tank?

I started it with some dried out live rock and seeded it with some nice cured live rocks from the fish store. If I take some out and leave it to dry so that I can make a big rock structure using some putty will this cause an ammonia spike when I out it back in if thing have died off or would the bacteria in my system cope? Also, if I used some new dried rocks from the fish store would this be ok to add?

I now have some better ideas of what I want but I don't know how best to go about it given that I have a tank with live animals in it.

Can't give you too many tips about how to go about it unless you have qt tank or another tank to stock while doing aqua scraping but. You will have mini cycles if you let rock dry and then put it back in so if you do this add it in slowly over few weeks if its a lot of rock rather than all at once. Dried rock should be fine but clean it before you add it IMO

How big is this tank?

Any live rock in your tank will need to be kept wet or it will kill a lot of organisms on it and it'll need to be recured and cycled. There is however some saltwater aquascaping putty that will cure underwater.

If it's a smaller tank you can most likely get away with just stacking the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom