Aquascaping Ideas!??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me come up with a way to utilize all of the space in the top half of my aquarium. It is a 65 gallon hex. so it is taller than it is wide, and I can't think of a way to utilize the entire space.

Here is a picture..

Attachments

• 100_0193.jpg
    100_0193.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 121
Can the tank be viewed from all angles or is it up against a wall or other backdrop?

Then on the opposite three panes that face a structure(s) I would use live rock to build upwards, creating a live rock backdrop that forms a cove. Depending on how open your top is, outside of the tank you can secure live rock to eggcrate via zipties and foam and carefully place the pieces once finished. If you plan to include corals be sure to not overcompensate so there is enough room for them to expand/grow.

Okay, so would I only be secureing certain pieces with the zipties?

I'd secure all major pieces with thick zipties (hammer drill through live rock) and use foam as a cover layer and hold everything in place.

Hmm.. I'm sorry im having trouble puting these pieces together in my head. Where would this piece of foam go?

Use a hammer drill to drill two holes (preferably) in the live rock, one towards each end. Make sure you drill for strength. Place the liverock on eggcrate you sized to suit your needs and push the ziptie through each hole, through the eggcrate, and attach. This is where your creativity comes into play. You can use foam in the cracks to fill gaps so that you cannot see eggcrate and keep any rocks bound together. Here is an example from a larger tank: My DIY Rock/Foam Reef - Reef Central Online Community

I would use more rock than foam, moreso as a filler. I would use Great Stuff: Pond and Stone.

Thank you for your idea. I think that would like great, if I can execute it. It sounds a bit difficult.

I really wish I would have saw that post before I stocked my aquarium. Do you think it will be okay to do place something like that in my tank even with the livestock????

I don't see why not. What I would do is create your "slabs" and cure them before adding to the tank.

What an imagination on that guy. I think that was absolutely amazing. It got my own brain cooking. I'm leary on putting anything in the tank that isn't of a natural nature, but our pumps and filters are plastic.....I think I smell smoke coming from my brain!

Well, I wouldn't use live rock in a freshy tank lol :p There shouldn't be a problem if you can secure rockwork safely. As long as the mbuna aren't foam-eaters you should be ok :)

You did a great job with those tanks (INNOVATOR)

I can only hope to make mine look that good.

Back
Top Bottom