Aquaticlife 115 break in help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so this is my first protein skimmer, so I really don't know how exactly to break it in.. Do I do anything special? Also, this produces a TON of microbubbles, is that common?

Thanks!

from my experience, and from what I was told, break in is going to naturally happen. What was suggested to me was to use hot water, and to clean the inside of the skimmer as best as you can, before letting it run. This helps removed some of the "factory" junk from the skimmer such as oils and stuff like that.

As far as micro bubbles, I think that depends on the type of skimmer you have. Some have adjustments you have to make as time goes on. Others seem to release micro bubbles for the first week or two while it breaks in, then it will go away. I had the same issue for about 2 weeks, then once it broke in 100%, the bubble went away, and its skimming very well!

I have that skimmer model on my 20g and it can make alot of micro bubbles. They will be less after a week or two but you have to have the skimmer "Just" right as far as how high in the water it is. It is also very finicky as far as adjusting with the knob, once you get the right setting don't mess with it.

Evilbass said:
from my experience, and from what I was told, break in is going to naturally happen. What was suggested to me was to use hot water, and to clean the inside of the skimmer as best as you can, before letting it run. This helps removed some of the "factory" junk from the skimmer such as oils and stuff like that.

As far as micro bubbles, I think that depends on the type of skimmer you have. Some have adjustments you have to make as time goes on. Others seem to release micro bubbles for the first week or two while it breaks in, then it will go away. I had the same issue for about 2 weeks, then once it broke in 100%, the bubble went away, and its skimming very well!

carey said:
I have that skimmer model on my 20g and it can make alot of micro bubbles. They will be less after a week or two but you have to have the skimmer "Just" right as far as how high in the water it is. It is also very finicky as far as adjusting with the knob, once you get the right setting don't mess with it.

Thanks guys! Its all tuned in now, no micro bubbles! You are very right Carey, its extremely picky about where it is in the water!

Back
Top Bottom