AquaView 360 3-Gallon aquarium stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latvian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone

This is my first post here and I am totally new to the aquarium world.

I have a 3-gallon aquarium that I want to put in my 4 years old son's room and I want to know what are the best species that can live in such a tiny aquarium and how many fish can I stock it with?
Can any of the following species survive in this aquarium?:

- Gouramies
- Rainbow fish
- Guppies

Also, is it possible to add a shrimp to the aquarium? What about live plants? I am interested in Java moss balls.

Thank you in advance

Hi latvian,
Unfortunately your tank is way too small for gouramis or rainbows. I've never kept guppies but I imagine 3 gallons wouldn't allow you to keep very many unless you plan on doing a fair amount of maintenance.
I personally don't know much about shrimp but you may be able to keep a couple in there. Live plants should be fine, but java moss would probably fill that tank up in a relatively short amount of time.
Using aqadvisor.com can be a good starting point to get ideas on what you can stock. There are also a lot of good threads here on starting up a new tank.
Good luck!

@Eggheadfish: Thank you for your reply and your advice.

@FWFishTanks: The tank comes with under ground filter and I got a small size 50W heater.

I don't know what these other people are talking about, you can keep a fair amount of guppies AND shrimp. I had a 1 gallon with 2 red shrimp and 3 guppies and ran it just fine until I gave it away(5 months later it's still perfectly fine)

Under gravel filters are awful to work with IMO. I'd only lightly stock it if you have an under gravel. Maybe a single MALE guppy and some shrimp

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

i would stay away from guppys in a small tank, they are live bearers (and the population could become an issues) as well as they do have a high bioload for their size.

Don't be cruel, do a single betta or some shrimp. you could do a nice planted betta tank and it would be beautiful

Guppies are high bio load, maintenance is very important. But these people are right a simple planted Betta tank would be awesome! Get the Betta before the shrimp though I've seen bettas kill shrimp so make sure you don't have an aggressive Betta

Guppies are high bio load, maintenance is very important. But these people are right a simple planted Betta tank would be awesome! Get the Betta before the shrimp though I've seen bettas kill shrimp so make sure you don't have an aggressive Betta

i would skip the shrimp of your going betta. just because i wouldnt want to risk it but some people have success. i would count out any live bearer and just do the betta and possibly shrimp, lots of plants would help with maintenance but youd still have to do water changes. if possible you could do a small intank filter, which although not good would be better then an under gravel.

Stone nano catfish.They do NOT eat flakes,feed them SMALL sinking pellets and FROZEN bloodworms.They are peaceful and get to 1and a half inches,good luck on that tank ;).

Attachments

• SNC.jpg
    SNC.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 46
  • SNC2.jpg
    SNC2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 49
  • SNC3.jpg
    SNC3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 54
  • SNC4.jpg
    SNC4.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 55
both the fish keegster posted tend to like to be in groups (the catfish, danios, and rasboras) the rasboras have a recommended tank size of 10 gallons or more and the danios as far as i know are quite active and like to be in a group. a group of fish (especially active fish) will not work in a tank of this size.

Take a look at some designer bettas.

I agree with the betta plan. I have a lovely planted betta tank in my daughter's room. It's 2.5 gallon and has three ghost shrimp as well. Her betta is very passive though and could care less about the shrimp. However, as others have mentioned it depends on the beta's personality.

Danio definitely shouldn't be in such a small space. They're insanely active and would probably get stressed quite quickly in a 3 gallon. I used to have a school of 20 in a 55 gallon and they USED it lol.

Back
Top Bottom