Aqueon 100W heater knocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don_chuwish

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 100W heater that came with our 36G bow front tank kit has recently been 'knocking' every time it cycles on to heat. I'll hear the sound, look up and sure enough the light is on. Light goes out, knocking stops. Is this imminent failure or just normal?

Thanks!

- D

don_chuwish said:
The 100W heater that came with our 36G bow front tank kit has recently been 'knocking' every time it cycles on to heat. I'll hear the sound, look up and sure enough the light is on. Light goes out, knocking stops. Is this imminent failure or just normal?

Thanks!

- D

You may need to start looking for a new one. Sounds like it may stop very soon.

Keep an eye on it. they are built the same way the old Marineland Stealth Pro's were. You might be hearing water heating up inside the heater.

I think so. It's out of the tank now. Replaced with Aqueon Pro 150.
Crazy new tank kits, you get an undersized heater, undersized HOB filter, barely good enough for freshwater hood light and all packaged at a price you can't ignore. Then you upgrade all of those things anyway.

- D

right on the money with this one. got the all inclusive aqueon 29 gal from petco $72 bucks. seemingly a great deal, right?

I have already spent appx $120 on new lighting and a versatop. i guess another $20 for a new heater. I am also contemplating upgrading the filter, its not bad, but you're right its basically just adequate for that size tank.

oh well, live and learn.

i'll try to be more patient and get something off of craigslist next time I upgrade, however, that takes more time and effort. and usually, no good return policies with that.

Back
Top Bottom