Aquraium turtle or lizard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, there's axolotls but they can't be kept with fish and aren't technically lizards, they're amphibians. Please define what you mean by aquarium turtle because as long as it's not a tortoise you usually keep them in aquariums. I know there's someone on here keeps red eared sliders with larger cichlids but I think they usually eat fish...

I've never kept turtles but have done quite a bit of research on axolotls though I never ended up getting one...

Hope this helps. :)

I have a red eared slider with south/central American cichlids, but you have to make sure you have an area where the turtle can get completely out of the water and bask under a light. Also my turtle my turtle usually tries to eat new fish but if she dosnt catch them in the first hour she will give up, the Cichlids work real good bc they are fast and smart but in the past she has eaten a few different type of fish

Well, I'm not sure of any smaller lizards who especially love the water, but Asian water monitors love water. haha. You would need a pool though. Or an alligator or crocodile. Not sure how much of a wild side you have!

There are lots of salamander species out there you could look into. The ones I always see are axies (as previously mentioned) and tiger salamanders. One of my good friends has two axies, a wild type and a leucistic. There are also lots of turtles to pick from too, but anything not terribly common gets expensive very quickly.

What kind of a set-up do you have? That would help narrow this down a bit.

I hread of a kind of mini turtle that leaves strictly in the water and a lizard as while but I have a 20 gal tank with a ridge.

Thread moved. You may want to look at newts.

Turtles, short answer - too much trouble and space.

Hard shell turtles mostly take a lot of time and a 4', 55 gal would be a min. for that.

There is a soft shell turtle, males and females (usually larger) can be different sizes as adults, you can look them up, I don't believe they come out of the water (as in hang out on dry land) but they can bask and sorta burrow/root around in mud/sand, eat fish like a planted area, it's difficult to replicate their natural habitat.

So Chameleon, my favorite, but again has special needs, (likes a more calm environment to live in), humidity, lighting as do most creatures we remove from their natural habitat to live in our houses.

Bearded dragon I have not had but understand is a good starter, get pretty big.

Thoroughly check all aspects of what the critter needs, buying or adopting is the easy part, its everything you have to do after that, that it starts getting complicated!!

Back
Top Bottom