Are Amano Shrimp bioloads higher than the other shrimp species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giroliro3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everywhere on the internet people say that shrimp such as cherry shrimp, etc have really small bioloads, but since amanos are noticeably bigger than the other shrimp, do they have a bigger bioload?

I have a 10 gallon and I plan on stocking it with 2 male guppies, a betta, a platy, a nerite snail, and hopefully at least 5 amano shrimp but I don't know how many I would be able to keep. I was also thinking of adding a couple cherry shrimp as well.

Some people say 10 shrimp per gallon and things but I find it pretty hard to believe that 100 adult amanos could be squeezed into a 10 gallon.

Also my tank has many plants.

Hi, being larger and more bioload makes sense to me. I really do find less fish is more for small tanks. I have a betta in a 5 gall with some small pond snails and the mess on a bare bottom tank is amazing each week.

You'll be fine with that setup but the Betta MIGHT harass the platty and especially the male guppies cause of their bright colors. But try it out and see, I would. Amanos won't breed in fresh so get anywhere from 5-10. A big plus on cherries. I've had 50+ in a 10G. Those guys are horn dogs!

Back
Top Bottom