Are blue acaras known jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darren86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I returned home from work today to find my blue acara dead on my carpet. I have a lid but there is a gap of about 3 inches where the filter hose runs so he must have got through. Are they known jumpers?

I can't imagine a SA cichlid like that would be a known jumper. Was he big? Are there any fish in there that may have seen him as a meal and he jumped while being chased or something?

He was just under 3 inches. No nothing in there is a predator for him it's a very peaceful tank. He was by far my favourite fish, I'm gutted

Really any fish is capable of jumping for a variety of reasons, such as being spooked, poor water conditions, or feeding from the surface. Most new world cichlids including Aequidens pulcher feed off insects and fruit in the wild so jumping through the surface is somewhat common behavior. I would make sure everything as far as water quality is good and get a tight fitting lid.

Last edited:
Not sure if il get another, this one had a lot of character, would always swim to the front when I was there and even fed from my hand!

Back
Top Bottom