Are fat fish happy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering, since i have purchased my fish they have definately gotten fatter:). I feed once a day, and I am pretty sure i don't overfeed because my parameters are always good. So are my fish healthy since they are fat?

I was just wondering, since i have purchased my fish they have definately gotten fatter:). I feed once a day, and I am pretty sure i don't overfeed because my parameters are always good. So are my fish healthy since they are fat?

In my experience fat fish normally become dead fish.

Of course it depends on the breed of fish but that's just my belief.

Also having fine water parameters doesn't mean you don't over feed your fish; not saying you do of course just that it's not proven by a low nitrate reading.

They aren't super fat, just a little plump. The ones i notice it on the most are my neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, clown loach, and cory cats.

I totally agree. Well fed and fat are two diffrent things. Some species of fish are supposed to look as though they always have a full belly. Others are supposed to look on the thin and streamline side.
Knowing what yours are supposed to look like healthy is a distinct and important part of this hobby we all luv. :)

adammorrill said:
They aren't super fat, just a little plump. The ones i notice it on the most are my neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, clown loach, and cory cats.

It seems normal, i am looking at plump angels and polka dot loaches but i know they wont be quite as big tomorrow when i feed them.

In my experience Clowns and Cories tend to be pigs, so you shouldnt have any really big problem.:)

Thats good to hear. My clown is a huge pig, eats flakes of the surface, then goes to the bottom of the tank to find the wafers and pellets:)

My angel is a fatty :) I think it's okay as long as he's not obese or appearing bloated

Are they active? Compare them to others of the same kind. Do they look "heavier."

David

Back
Top Bottom