Are my plants dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to Planted tanks and just set up a 29ga last Monday and Added Plants on Thursday. I added 2 java Ferns and 3 other bushy dark green (not sure of name). I am not sure if they are doing well, The java Fern looks ok but the green bushy plants look sort of limp and slightly brown. I think they may have been this way when I bought them but I'm not sure. I added some Fertilizer when I got them and also some Prime for the water. Is there any signs I can watch for to see if they are dying?

Also, After I added the plant I noticed a white film develop on my mopani wood. It has kind of covered the crevices and holes and looks like an egg sak or something. I have no fish in the tank yet so it must be something from the plants I assume. Please let me know what you think, I can add a pic of this stuff later tonight.

First question: how much light, and what type of light, are you running over this 29gallon tank?

More than likely, you do not have sufficient light.

The film is probably a fungus, it develops on driftwood at first then fades away, probably eaten by the fish. I've had it in my tanks when I put driftwood in to reduce Ph prior to putting fish in.

As for the plants, don't assume they are dead yet. I've had plants 'shocked' by transplant that dropped all their leaves, then slowly grow back and be reborn. If the plant turns brown and starts to disintegrate as far as stems and roots go, well, it's probably dead. But don't judge early by the leaves.

I have low light, only a 20W flourescent. I was told by people here and in the lfs that I could have java fern and other low light plants with no trouble. I really hope this isn't the issue but I suspect it most likely is.

20w over a 29gal will support java ferns, anubias bartari v. nana, and some crypt species. Anachris will die. Hornwort will die.

Do you have any idea what these other plants are that are looking so bad? either a common name or a latin one.

Its entirely possible they need much more light, or may not even be true aquatics...hard to say without knowing exactly what they are.

But with less than 1 watt per gallon, they are likely doomed.

Back
Top Bottom